The Centre for Social Impact and Philanthropy (CSIP) at Ashoka University is India’s first academic centre focused on enabling strategic and robust philanthropy for social impact. It strives to provide civil society with evidence-based research and knowledge products to grow scale and impact, convening platforms for norm-setting and collaborative learning, and leadership development programmes that strengthen capability and sustainability.
About Ashoka University
Ashoka University is a private, non-profit university. An unprecedented example of collective public philanthropy in India, it is a pioneer in its focus on the Liberal Arts. The University offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs across the humanities, social sciences and fundamental natural sciences. The aim is to help students become well-rounded individuals who are able to think critically about issues from multiple perspectives, communicate effectively and go on to become ethical self-aware leaders with a commitment to public service. Ashoka has built collaborations with University of Pennsylvania, University of Michigan, Carleton College, King’s College London, Sciences Po, UC Berkeley, Trinity College Dublin and Yale University. To learn more about Ashoka University visit http://ashoka.edu.in
About the Centre for Social Impact and Philanthropy (CSIP)
The University’s focus is on attracting the brightest students, putting them under the guidance of the most inspirational faculty, and developing a global reputation for innovative research. Faculty and students come from across the country, and the world, and Ashoka is committed to maintaining the highest intellectual and academic standards.
Along with having a robust academic program, the University is home to Centers of Excellence that address some critical areas of relevance to society, and India in particular. This includes the Centre for Social Impact and Philanthropy (CSIP), which aims at being the foremost Centre in India for research and capacity-building towards the critical advancement of social impact. The Centre’s research will be focused on critical topics in the space of social impact, in strategic philanthropy in particular, with emphasis on applied research.
About the role
Centre for Social Impact and Philanthropy is looking for a motivated Academic Director with the vision to enable CSIP to deliver strong academic programmes for both students at the university and the Centre’s key external stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will have an exceptional ability to grasp the complexity of social issues, a strong focus on philanthropy and social development, and unpack their various dimensions. S/he should be able to draw upon the multi-disciplinary themes and topics to lend richness to the capacity building and teaching agenda of the Centre.The candidate should have the flexibility to manage multiple projects simultaneously, the ability to work in a fast moving and dynamic environment, an aptitude for content creation and curriculum design, and be excited to join a young and dynamic team. The role will be split between conceptualising and leading courses for Ashoka University students and building academic programs for the external stakeholders of the Centre. Experience in building and leading teams and interacting with external partners including multiple academic institutions would be valued.
The Academic Director should have an advanced degree in social sciences with 10-15 years of experience, preferably both in academic as well as applied contexts. The candidate should have experience working with course and content creation for a range of potential audiences.
The candidate should have excellent written communication skills required for high quality academic papers and other publications and be a confident oral communicator.
The Academic Director will
- Conceptualize and implement teaching programmes for students at Ashoka and other key stakeholder groups including non-profits and philanthropists.
- Ingrain the culture for academic rigor at the Centre.
- Co-create, design, and lead in-house capacity building projects from start to finish as well as advise and work with partners to advise their programmes.
- Leverage current partnerships and find opportunities to build new partnerships and collaborations with stakeholders across various constituencies in India and internationally, including academia, civil society, funding organisations, government bodies etc.
- Manage relationships with independent contractors, consultants, and research partners
- Write reports, academic papers, and long form articles.
- Represent the Centre and its work in a range of external fora and to the media.
Education and Experience
- A Post-Graduate degree from a reputed university in Development studies or related field.
- 12+ years of relevant work experience in research and academia with an exposure to evolving strategy, managing teams, multiple external research partners and donor relationships.
- Deep understanding of the social sector and its challenges in India
- Ability to work remotely and manage multiple workstreams simultaneously.
- Enjoys working in a dynamic and expanding team
- Right to work in India
- Competitive, based on experience.
Please visit our the posting on our Career Site and apply by clicking on “I’m Interested” and filling out the relevant details. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit csip.zohorecruit.in.