IDinsight is hiring an Analytics Associate to support data-driven survey operations for our Data on Demand initiative. In this role the Analytics Associate will work closely with IDinsight’s Data on Demand team to design and develop reports and dashboards to inform real-time management of Data on Demand surveys. The Analytics Associate will also be responsible for supporting the Data on Demand team to configure new surveys on SurveyStream, our in-house software product for facilitating management of Data on Demand surveys. The Analytics Associate will be part of a growing team of engineers and data scientists working to build out the SurveyStream product and support Data on Demand’s broader social impact goals.
About Data on Demand
Data on Demand (DoD) intends to amplify social sector impact worldwide by making accurate data on hard-to-reach, low-income populations an order of magnitude faster and cheaper. DoD works via:
- A network of hyper-local surveyors that execute data collection tasks near their homes
- Representative, mobile-enabled household panels for rapid phone surveys
- Custom software to efficiently manage the productivity and quality of remote staff
DoD currently has the ability to collect representative data for 140 million people in India and we are rapidly expanding within and beyond India.
IDinsight helps leaders combat poverty worldwide by designing, deploying and promoting evidence-generating tools. We tailor the best methodologies to partner needs and constraints to fuse evidence with action. We serve governments, NGOs, foundations and social businesses across Africa and Asia in all major program areas including health, education, agriculture, livelihoods, finance, energy and governance. As a non-profit, we are laser-focused on enabling maximum social impact to improve millions of lives. Our approach rests on four pillars:
- Rigorous: We develop and use a wide-range of cutting-edge data and evidence tools, including experimental evaluations, monitoring systems, data analytics and visualization, process evaluations, machine learning and more.
- Cost-effective: Every dollar spent is justified by expected impact. If funds could be better used in another way, we say so.
- Timely: Actionable information is delivered in time for client decision-making deadlines.
- Demand-driven: We deploy solutions tailored to partner contexts and needs with no competing agendas.
Our diverse, growing team of outstanding colleagues operate in nearly two dozen countries around the world. Learn more about our mission and values at www.IDinsight.org.
About the Role
We are seeking candidates with a strong background in data analysis and visualization, and a passion for using data to tackle difficult social problems. Most importantly, successful candidates should possess the ability to work independently to solve complex challenges, both human and technological.
As an Analytics Associate, the day-to-day work may include:
- Working with DoD team members to document their data and information needs: understanding survey management processes and how they can be supported through analytical reports and dashboards.
- Supporting DoD teams to configure IDinsight’s SurveyStream survey management product for new surveying activities.
- Writing SQL queries and building dashboard views for new surveying activities.
- Helping DoD team members troubleshoot issues with reports and dashboards during ongoing surveying activities.
- Streamlining survey support activities by developing generalized report and dashboard templates.
- Coordinating with the SurveyStream data engineering team on issues related to data quality, data governance, and generally supporting users’ information needs.
Required Technical Qualifications
- Experience working with users to document business requirements and translate them into technical requirements.
- Proficiency working with SQL.
- Strong understanding of data modeling principles.
- Proficiency designing and building dashboards using tools like Superset, Tableau, or PowerBI.
- Proficiency using git and GitHub for version control.
Other Required Qualifications
- Proven ability to work alone and with teams in a dynamic, multicultural environment.
- Passion for improving lives through evidence-informed policy.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English. Fluency in languages spoken in countries where IDinsight works is a plus.
- Strong values aligned with IDinsight’s stated values.
- Ability and interest in sharing knowledge, mentoring others, presenting work and reviewing the work of others.
- Deeply passionate about global development and improving lives in disadvantaged populations
- Open-minded self-starter who will thrive while tackling new, unusual and unpredictable challenges
The most competitive applicants will also have experience in one or more of the following:
- 2 years of relevant experience in a business analyst or data analyst role.
- Experience working with dbt.
- Experience working with Python.
- Understanding of best practices related to monitoring and enforcing data quality at scale.
- Experience with workflow orchestration/data pipelining tools like Airflow, Luigi, or Dagster.
Professional development for our technical roles is essential for IDinsight’s long-term impact. With support from IDinsight leadership, the employee will maintain self-directed professional development plans and will be given “stretch” opportunities designed to strengthen their professional skills. Real-time feedback and structured reviews are regularly provided to maximize each data team member’s expertise. IDinsight’s entrepreneurial culture allows roles and career progression to be tailored to individual strengths, interests, and goals. Employees have the opportunity to increase responsibilities, and high performers will have the opportunity to move into more specialized data science, data engineering, or data visualization career tracks.
Nuts and Bolts
This position is based in IDinsight’s New Delhi, India or Nairobi, Kenya office. Preference will be given to those with pre-existing work authorization in these countries; however, IDinsight will seek work permits where possible for exceptional candidates.
Compensation and benefits are commensurate with relevant experience and background, and competitive within the social sector. Please note, as a non-profit, we are unable to provide compensation similar to leading private sector organizations.
The start date of this position is flexible, with preference for candidates that can start immediately. We expect a one-year minimum commitment, with regular professional development conversations and potential for a long-term career at IDinsight.
To apply for this job please visit internationalcareers-idinsight.icims.com.