Website World Resource Institute
Who we are and what we do?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Climate:
At WRI India’s Climate Program, we focus on integrated solutions that can enable a low-carbon transition in India, while ensuring that the transition is equitable and just for its people and protects natural resources. Through applied research, the use of frameworks and tools, partnerships with key stakeholders and ground-level implementation, we seek to achieve impact at scale.
WRI India is seeking a Project Associates for its Climate Program. The selected candidates will contribute to the team’s work on modelling low-carbon development pathways for India using the Energy Policy Simulator (EPS) or the Green Economy Model (GEM), both systems dynamics computer models built in the simulation software ‘Vensim’. Both models include the energy, industry, transport, buildings and agriculture/land sectors, and enable an integrated assessment of climate policies in these sectors, along with their macroeconomic implications, such as effects on investment, economic growth and employment. While the EPS models the energy, industry, transport, buildings sectors in detail, we are developing the GEM for better representation of land and other natural resource use, as well as to understand distributional implications of climate policies on different population subgroups.
Location : Mumbai, New Delhi, Bengaluru
How your day will unfold:
The Project Associates will undertake a range of tasks as listed below.
• Understand the structure of the EPS (and/or GEM), its outputs, and input datasets by going through the model input files (in Excel) or code (in Vensim) and reading model documentation.
• Update or complete gaps in model documentation, as necessary.
• Scan websites of government agencies and other institutions to find relevant data for the models’ input datasets and keep track of latest developments in climate policy.
• Use the model(s) to create climate policy scenarios for India and/or make updates to the model(s) in consultation with the team and external experts.
• Organize online events, workshops and stakeholder consultations on modelling analyses.
• Contribute to writing analytical results in the form of blogs, policy briefs and reports.
Qualifications and Requirements we seek:
• A degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Data Science, Environmental/Climate Science or a related subject, along with at least 2 years of relevant work experience.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and comfort in working with quantitative datasets.
• Ability to communicate fluently (oral and written) in English and present complex information in a simple, clear, and concise manner.
• Patience and careful attention to detail.
• Familiarity with Vensim or Python will be an advantage.
• Familiarity with climate policy in India will be an advantage.
Salary and Benefits: INR 8,00,000 to INR 9,00,000
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: 2 years (extendable based on performance and project requirements)
Location: Delhi/Bangalore/Mumbai, India
Start Date: At the earliest
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter (outlining your interest and suitability for the position)
- A writing sample (no more than 1000 words; preferably on a climate policy related topic for a general audience)
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.jobvite.com.