Website Search for Health
History: Inspired by the life and philosophy of Mahatma Gandhi, and equipped by their medical training in India, and subsequent training in public health and research at the Johns Hopkins University, the doctor couple Abhay and Rani Bang, founded Society for Education, Action and Research in Community Health (SEARCH) in 1986. SEARCH is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) working in the poorest, semi-tribal district, Gadchiroli, in the state of Maharashtra, (India), 1000 km away from Mumbai.
Vision: SEARCH’s vision is ‘Aarogya-Swaraj’ which means ‘People’s Health in People’s Hands’, by empowering individuals and communities to take charge of their own health, and thereby, help them achieve freedom from disease as well as dependence.
Mission: Mission of SEARCH is service, training, empowerment and research in health of the communities as expressed in its name.
Headquarters: Of SEARCH is ‘Shodhgram’, located 17 km from the district headquarters of the Gadchiroli district. The campus, spread over 47 Acres, is modeled over a mix of Gandhian Ashram, tribal village and modern facilities. It has more than 80 buildings including hospital, research center, training centers, training hostels, library, administrative offices, guest houses, tribal museum, community centers, mess cum dining facilities, residential facilities for 120 staff, solar plant, playground, organic farm and a small lake.
With a team of 150+ professionals and 150+ Community Health Workers, SEARCH has emerged as one of the most reputed and credible grass root service and research organization in India.
SEARCH strives to make important breakthroughs to solve public health problems in India and around the world, over past 36 years by:
1. 120-bed hospital providing health care to 55,000 patients annually from 2500 villages. Specialist OPDs, tele-consultation and subsidized surgery camps are also organized along with existing services to ensure enhanced health services for poor patients.
2. Community health services in 125 villages.
3. Home-based mother, newborn & child care in 88 villages.
4. Prevention and deaddiction of alcohol and tobacco across 1400 villages of Gadchiroli district.
5. Life skill and reproductive health education for youth and women across Maharashtra.
6. Conducting rural health care research to improve rural health services and evidence-based advocacy to influence policy.
7. Training of trainers from different parts of the country and abroad for implementation of the Home-based newborn care program. HBNC is India’s national policy implemented through 8 Lakh ASHA across the country.
8. ‘NIRMAN’, the social leadership development program for youth across India.
9. Mental health services for patients at hospital, block and village level.
10. Tribal health services in 48 villages through community health workers.
11. Mobile Medical Unit to provide diagnostic, preventive, curative, and referral services in tribal villages.
12. Spine and Joint health care to reduce the musculoskeletal pain, burden and disability in Gadchiroli.
1) Position: Data Scientist / Statistician + Software Programmer
2) Location: SEARCH, Gadchiroli district, Maharashtra
3) Reporting to: Director, SEARCH
Part 1: Research, Training and Data Analysis
1. Participate in and contribute to various research studies and service programs of SEARCH.
2. Perform independent, advanced statistical analyses required for interim study monitoring, routine study reporting, and manuscript preparation, as required by the research objectives.
3. Ability to lead statistical analysis and to combine with broader analytical trends and observations. This work includes explaining and applying findings and recommendations following the assessment.
4. Extract data records from a database management system, using appropriate data management computer software, to produce abstracted data files which will be used for routine and special statistical analysis and data reporting tasks.
5. Prepare a data quality check list for field supervisors and data collectors and training field staff for specific data collection.
6. Prepare a statistical and data plan for a given study.
7. Doing field visits to maintain data quality in the fields.
8. Present analyzed data on various topics to the management.
9. Participate in writing manuscripts for publication as co-author.
10. Update skills and knowledge in the way of journal club, online courses, attending workshops and reading.
Part 2: Software Programming
1. In- house development of various software required for different departments of SEARCH as and when required.
2. Data base management of all departments and handling Windows / open-source operating system.
3. Developing android-based / cloud-based applications for community programs and hospital departments.
4. Training staff to use the database of SEARCH and training new staff on various software and applications of SEARCH.
5. Data management in any offsite server, its handling, processing, retrieval and maintenance.
1. M.Sc. Statistics / M.Sc. Bio-statistics / Ph.D. / M.Sc. Data Science / MS Data Science / MS- Any stream / MTech / MCA / PGDM Data Science / B.E / B. Tech / BCA / BCs.
2. Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in data collection in the field, analysis and research.
3. Experience in software programming or willingness to learn the same to create various software depending on the requirement of organization.
4. Ethical and value driven with strong belief in social sector.
5. Understanding of statistical concepts and methods, especially data analysis and research methods like study designs, data planning and data interpretation skills.
6. Skilled in using software like:
a. Python / Java / Cloud computing (Any programming language).
b. Open MRS / Open ERP or any similar programming language for developing a Data Base Management System in health care.
c. R, STATA, SPSS, EPinfo for statistical analysis.
d. Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
e. MySQL server
f. Cloud Computing
7. Deep understanding of statistics and experience with machine learning algorithms/ techniques.
8. Ability to promptly assess a problem qualitatively and quantitatively.
9. Proven experience in conducting various methods of statistical analysis including machine learning, and predictive modeling.
10. Minimum commitment of 3 years.
• Starting Salary: Negotiable as per qualifications and experience.
• Annual increment: Due each year as per the policy of SEARCH.
• Accommodation: Will be provided in the campus as per need (single or family).
• Other Benefits: Provident Fund, Medical Insurance and Gratuity will be applicable as per the policy of SEARCH.
• Growth of the Individual: SEARCH strives to create a clear path for career progression for the Professional by providing learning opportunities through mentoring by eminent medical professionals, courses, workshops and field visits.
• Health Care: Primary & secondary medical care provided free of cost in the hospital of SEARCH, for staff as well as immediate family members.
• Education of Children: Free pick and drop back facility for children in school at the Gadchiroli Town (with CBSE School till 12th standard).
• Scholarship to children of the Staff for higher education as per policy of SEARCH.
• Spouse: SEARCH considers the position of the Spouse of the candidate empathetically, and though not assured, strive to explore appropriate job for the spouse based on need and competencies of the candidate.
• Leaves: 16 days summer vacation + 7 days Diwali vacation + 7 Casual Leaves + 12 National Holidays.
Note: The probation period in SEARCH is 1 year.
Send applications to: email@example.com
− Mark ‘for the post of Data Scientist/ Statistician+ Software Programmer’ in the subject line of email.
− For specific queries, call at: 7034616997
Visit our website: http://www.searchforhealth.ngo/
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org