Peepul is an education-focused non-profit. We dream and work towards creating an education system in India that enables ‘every child to realize their potential.’ We work closely with governments at the national, state, and local levels to transform government schools and government systems. The poorest children in India study in government schools and too many of them are falling through the cracks. We are determined to ensure that they receive a high-quality education to help them succeed in life.
We are restless, resilient, and reflective. We aim high, we innovate, we work smart, we work as a team, and we use rigorous research to inform our work.
Job Description: Deputy Director – Operations
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: South Delhi
Start date: Immediate
Peepul is looking for Deputy Director – Operations to build on our success to date and help build a strong foundation for our future growth and ambitious scale plans. The Deputy Director – Operations will be a key member of the Management Team. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), this is an incredible opportunity to shape the trajectory of the organisation, manage a high-quality team, build strong organisational processes, and support the design of at-scale education programmes.
If you combine a passion for transforming the quality of education in government schools in India, with the experience and technical skills to deliver operational success and the resilience and drive needed to work in a fast-paced, agile work environment, this role is for you.
The role of Deputy Director – Operations is critical to our success. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the candidate will be accountable for establishing and delivering excellence across our corporate functions (Finance, IT, HR, etc.).
To contribute, as part of the Management Team, to the wider strategic development of Peepul.
• To ensure the strategic agenda is effectively translated into clear operational plans.
• To provide advice and challenge to the Chief Executive Officer and other Directors on programme management and execution as a member of the Management Team
• To build strong working relationships with all senior leaders within Peepul, developing a deep understanding of the organisation’s mission and aligning its principles and practices across countries.
• To work effectively with Peepul’s board members, ensuring regular and accurate reporting on organisational performance.
To oversee exceptional service delivery to Peepul’s programmes.
• Construct network-wide systems that strike the most effective balance between central efficiency and schools operating independently where needed.
• Drive efficiency in services provided to programmes ensuring Peepul is able to deliver best value for money and remain within tight operational budgets.
• Roll out effective processes across multiple areas of operations
• Develop and maintain constructive working relationships within the team
To establish and provide effective leadership and management of Peepul’s central operational functions.
• Oversee the development and implementation of the financial and other functions (HR, IT, Facilities and Governance) of Peepul; to establish effective systems to enable us to manage a network of high performing schools and run other successful education interventions.
• Recruit, support, line-manage and develop highly effective teams in each functional area and school-based operational staff where needed.
• Develop systems to ensure the effective use of data across the organisation, developing appropriate tracking metrics to ensure high-quality service delivery.
• Provide leadership on cross-organisational working, encouraging greater collaboration across functional teams to ensure the provision of coherent, joined-up services.
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated individual to play a key role in helping us achieve our bold vision for the future. Deputy Director – Operations will be a leader of exceptional calibre with the flexibility, tenacity, and enthusiasm to establish a high performing, fast moving, creative environment.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following skills, attributes, and experience.
• A track record of providing strong strategic and operational leadership in a rapidly growing commercial or charitable organisation.
• Proven success in managing multi-functional teams, including finance, in dynamic settings.
• Extensive experience of working with senior internal and external stakeholders.
• Experience of developing effective operational services to support the delivery of wider strategic goals.
Skills and Knowledge
• A detailed understanding of service excellence with the leadership skills to foster a strong service ethos across the central team.
• The intellectual flexibility to participate fully in shaping the strategic and operational future of the network, working with all the senior colleagues in India.
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to spot pragmatic solutions to operational challenges.
• An ability to work successfully under pressure with the capacity to manage competing priorities.
• Exceptional stakeholder management skills with a proven ability to build strong, sustainable relationships with a wide range of individuals.
• A passion for education and a genuine commitment to Peepul’s mission and values.
• The tenacity, flexibility, and resilience to adapt rapidly to changing priorities in a fast-moving, complex environment.
• High levels of personal impact with the ability to command the respect of wide range of senior stakeholders.
• Significant personal drive, energy, ambition, and enthusiasm.
• Fluency in English and Hindi
Other factors to consider
• Commitment to equality of opportunity and the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils. This role will be subject to enhanced background checks.
• Willingness to travel internationally and when necessary, work outside normal working day for public and other meetings and to achieve deadlines
To apply, please send a copy of your resume along with a covering letter explaining why you are interested in applying for the role, to email@example.com with a cc to firstname.lastname@example.org, ensuring you specify the role you are applying for in the subject line of the e-mail. Please include the details of at least two referees within your application.
The selection process will involve written tests/assignments and interviews with the Senior Leadership Team and Advisory Board of the organization.
Reference checking & Probation
As you will be working with children this role will be subject to enhanced background checks. Additionally, the incumbent will be subject to a probation period of six months
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com