Website United Nations
Within delegated authority, the incumbent is responsible for the following duties:
• Assists and supports the UNIC and RCO communications unit in drafting and finalising the UN in India social media strategy in line with the global communication strategies and campaigns, and priorities of the UN Country Team in India.
• Maintains social media calendar (monthly grids) and provides management and editorial support for the implementation of organic and paid social media campaigns.
• Writes and edits copy for the UN in India social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram).
• Produces social media optimised content for the UN in India website and corporate channels, including designing graphics, audio-visual productis, podcasts, vlogs, blogs and other new and emerging opportunities.
• Designs and implements digital media campaigns aligned with UN priorities with key partners, including government, civil society and private sector.
• Participates in the planning and coordination of events using digital communication tools.
• Supports the development of key social media/digital partnerships – including with influencers, channels and media organizations – towards greater visibility of the global and national priorities of the UN.
• Supports the social media listening and intelligence of the UN office in India.
• Researches a broad scope of information sources : printed and electronic; compiles and presents information for use in the preparation and production of digital communication products/services for target audiences.
• Assists in monitoring, tracking and analysing data related to social media reach and engagement, current events, public opinion and press; and identifies possible action/responses using digital communications.
• Identifies and prepares new material for inclusion in appropriate websites by researching various information sources for relevant material and cross-checking information with author offices as required; identifying, retrieving and downloading pertinent documentation and other information in requisite programming languages for Web format or inserting into database after determining appropriate categorization. Tag content to improve Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
• Coordinates and collaborates with UN agencies on key international days and campaigns focussing on priority areas of work in India.
• Assists in the electronic dissemination of outreach materials; prepares, maintains and updates websites, to include drafting and editing content; maintains the UNIC digital library.
• Acts as focal point on digital communications issues, monitoring and reporting on latest trends and developments, responding to inquiries.
• Performs related general administrative duties, as required, including the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems.
• Provides guidance to, and may supervise, junior colleagues, including other local staff, consultants, and/or interns.
• Performs other duties as required.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures related to communication, production and dissemination of public information. Ability to research information from a variety of sources. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
A minimum of High School Diploma or equivalent.
A minimum of 7 years of experience in managing digital communications, including social media, website, analytics management is required.
Experience in developing and implementing digital media strategies and content is requited.
Experience in graphic design – Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, and/or comparable computer software is required.
Experience in social media video production is required.
Experience creating content for digital publishing formats and/or platforms, including adapting briefing notes, press releases and speeches for social media and/or websites, is desirable.
Experience working within the United Nations Common System or a comparable international organization is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required, and fluency in Hindi is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by competency-based interview.
This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule 4.4 of the United Nations Staff Rules. All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance of each office, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country. A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
To apply for this job please visit careers.un.org.