UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience, and resources to help people build a better life. UNDP is on the ground in about 170 countries and territories, working with national counterparts on solutions to global and national development challenges.
In the programme countries, UNDP supports stabilization, state-building, governance and development priorities in in partnership with the host governments, the United Nations system, the development partners and other partners to help the country to achieve sustainable development by eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, accelerating structural transformations for sustainable development and building resilience to crises and shock.
UNDP has worked in India since 1951 in almost all areas of human development, from systems and institutional strengthening to inclusive growth and sustainable livelihoods, as well as sustainable energy, environment and resilience. UNDP’s programmes continue to fully integrate a global vision for catalytic change with India’s national priorities. With over 30 projects on the ground in almost every state, today UNDP India works to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals by transforming traditional models to do development differently. In a rapidly changing global environment, the work of UNDP and the broader UN family aligns with the Government of India’s new national development vision, India 2030, and builds upon the Sustainable Development Goals. UNDP India’s country programme for 2018-2022 has three major focus areas:
- Inclusive growth
- Environment and energy
- Strengthening systems and institutions
These are supported by a framework of renewed partnerships and blended finance solutions, a pool of financial and technical resources for greater impact and scale, and South-South expertise.
You are invited to join a team of dedicated development professionals whose primary role is to support the India to achieve the 2030 Agenda. As part of the UNDP team your focus will be to work with multiple stakeholders to find the country specific solutions that lead to sustainable development and to ensure no one is left behind and we reach those furthest behind first.
UNDP is looking for individuals who have the communication, analytical, planning and implementation capacities that can address links, choices and connections across many issues and sectors. We seek individuals who can apply global best practice to national contexts. We are looking for people who are enthusiastic, motivated, and committed to making a positive contribution to Development in India.
UNDP partners globally with all levels of society in more than 170 countries and territories where it operates. It offers global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations that can withstand crisis, and that drive and sustain growth that improves the quality of life for everyone.
UNDP’s approach in India has been to develop and sustain strategic partnerships that find innovative solutions to address gaps on both the demand and supply side of development processes.
UNDP has a strong background of working with a wide range of central ministries such as Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Ministry of Law and Justice and Ministry of Rural Development and several State Government Departments on institutional strengthening and improving public services.
The livelihood of a large proportion of India’s population—as the largest private enterprise with ~138 million farm families with an 18% contribution to national GDP—is at risk. Any shock on agricultural production already has social and financial repercussions for both the population and the country as a whole; it impacts rural income levels, Gross Domestic Product (GDP), and, in the worst years, poverty rates.
The Government of Odisha (GoO) is focused on doubling farmers income and farmers’ well-being by addressing the constraints, optimal usage of available natural resources and using technology to ensure a growth that is environmentally, economically, and technologically inclusive, scalable, and sustainable. The GoO, to enhance and diversify agricultural production, enhance climate resilience, and improve water productivity in partnership with the Government of India is implementing the World Bank assisted project “Odisha Integrated Irrigation Project for Climate Resilient Agriculture (OIIPCRA)”.
The project OIIPCRA is multi sectoral in nature and will be jointly implemented by three line-departments, i.e., (1) Department of Water Resources, Government of Odisha, (2) Department of Agriculture and Farmers Empowerment, Government of Odisha, and (3) Department of Fishery and Animal Resource Development, Government of Odisha, with clearly defined role and responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
The individual shall report to Project Manager, UNDP (NPSA 9) (Head of State, UNDP Odisha) with day-to-day administrative reporting to the government.
The objective of the current project is to provide technical support the government in its effort to improve economic resilience of farm households to climate risks and natural disasters through intensification and diversification of agricultural production, enhanced climate resilience, and improved water productivity in selected districts of Odisha. It is expected that the Technical Support Unit will support the implementation of the OIIPCRA by developing implementation modalities.
The services of an Environment Specialist are required to work under the overall leadership and guidance of Director OCTDMS to oversee the Environment Safeguards, Environmental impact, and Sustainability aspects, designing and provide training and ensure coordination in early warning for any pest/disease farmer training programs. He / she will be accountable for collecting information, maintaining the Environment Safeguards register and monitoring the observation on Environment Safeguard policies and monitoring project implementation. He/she will support to procedures linked to Civil works & Consultancies.
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager (Head of State, UNDP Odisha) with day-to-day administrative reporting to the government, the incumbent will:
Environment safeguarding during operation of various civil works:
- Oversee Environment Safeguards during operation of various civil works execution/ agricultural demonstrations.
- Examine Environmental impact/ Sustainability of various Agricultural demonstration projects.
- Collect information/ maintain the Environment Safeguards register and monitor the observation on Environment Safeguard policies.
- Design farmer training programs on climate resilience practices and technology.
- Provide training and ensure coordination in early warning for any pest/disease prevalence forecast.
- Monitor project implementation as per indicators fixed for different activities for compliance to Environment Safeguard.
Take the lead in design and implementation, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Compliance of Environmental Management Framework with OCTDMS rules, regulations, policies, and strategies.
- Ensuring environmental screening, scoping and assessment for each project activity.
- Integration of environmental management in the planning, monitoring, and reporting of the project.
- Prepare information, communication, and education strategy on environmental management to enable proper implementation of project.
- Liaisoning with various state line departments and other implementing agencies on environmental matters related to civil works.
- Identify training agencies and coordinate trainings.
- Monitor the observation of Environment Safeguard policies by different stake holders in the field.
Assistance for effective monitoring and evaluation, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Prepare and share quarterly monitoring reports on environmental management.
- Documenting good practices and expenditure of environmental management in the project.
- Ensure monthly reporting on environmental management related to civil work.
- Any other work assigned by the supervisor.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
- Knowledge Generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for content, or responsive to a stated need
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience, Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media, and other appropriate channels
- Job Knowledge: Preparation and update of project information, Expertise in preparing annual plan and budgets, Sharing knowledge and information with district govt officers and other implementing partners, Demonstrate comprehensive understanding of information technology.
Required Skills and Experience
BE/ B. Tech in Environmental Engineering/ Master’s Degree in Environment Science from a recognized university/ institution of repute.
- A minimum of 03 (Three) years of working experience in the field environment safeguarding in reputed establishment/ organization/workplaces/ construction. Previous experience with International Donors/ Lenders (Department for International Development/ United Nations or World Bank/Asian development Bank/JBIC/ other externally aided projects) is preferred.
- Additional years of work experience is desirable.
- Working experience with the Government of Odisha.
- Sound knowledge of UN/UNDP rules and regulations, policies, procedures, and practices.
- Understand the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Ability to produce high quality outputs in a timely manner
- Strong organizational, oral and communication skills.
- Ability to apply conceptual models in support of implementation of the various activities assigned by SPMU/OCTDMS
- Good knowledge of the result-based management of the activities
- Maintain active relationship with partner agencies.
- Promote a knowledge sharing and learning culture.
- Continued learning and development in the subject area of the project.
- Development of learning plans and adoption of newly acquired skills.
- Strong analytical assessment and project planning skills
- Demonstrate integrity and ethical standard.
- Ability to lead implementation of initiatives.
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Operations Management
- Knowledge Generation
- Adapt with Agility
English and Odia
Remuneration is INR 60,078 (per month) inclusive of 8.33% pension amount.
To apply for this job please visit estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.