Website American India Foundation
Position: Manager – Communication
Function: Communication and Advocacy
Reporting: Director – Communication and Advocacy
The American India Foundation is committed to catalyzing social and economic change in India, and
building a lasting bridge between the United States and India through high-impact interventions in
education, livelihoods, public health, and leadership development. Working closely with local
communities, AIF partners with NGOs to develop and test innovative solutions and with governments
to create and scale sustainable impact. AIF’s programming seeks to achieve gender equity through
developing inclusive models that focus on and empower girls and women. Founded in 2001 at the
initiative of President Bill Clinton following a suggestion from Indian Prime Minister Vajpayee, AIF has
impacted the lives of 8.4 million of India’s poor. With offices in New York and California, twelve
chapters across the U.S., and India operations headquartered in Delhi NCR, AIF is transforming lives
across 26 states of India while addressing these issues on a regional, country, and international scale.
Learn more at www.AIF.org
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
1. Communications – 40%
• Work with the Communications Director and other members of the team to implement the communication strategy across AIF’s programs to include both internal and external communications
• Support the Communications Director in developing a narrative and messages that reflect the core aims of AIF’s programs and creating strategic presentations for internal and external stakeholders
• Producing creative content in print and online to amplify key messages on thematic issues – creating and executing communication and advocacy campaigns at the national and global level.
• Plan and coordinate an editorial calendar to create a pipeline of content including collaterals, reports, articles, op-eds, press releases, and blogs. Draft, edit, proofread, and commission materials as appropriate.
• Maintain communications with key stakeholders through regular mailings and newsletters
• Produce high-quality, well-written, and visually appealing content to influence audiences: donors/partners and government agencies. Content may include blogs, articles, infographics, media articles, case studies, opinion editorials, policy briefs, videos, social media content, and interactive reports.
• Maintain a detailed understanding of the programs, identifying stories, and a knack to leverage program data for story-telling around key developments for dissemination
• Work with Communications Director to continuously build communications assets, including a photo, story, and video bank for use in program resources and fundraising efforts
2. Website and social media – 30%
• Manage the website, webpages and blog pages for AIF ensuring content is accurate, up to date, and engaging
• Build, manage and evaluate a social media presence
• Produce and commission content across various media platforms
• Conduct regular analysis of website agencies’ quarterly and annual outcomes for internal and external communications.
3. Knowledge Management – 20%
• Develop and oversee the implementation of annual communication and knowledge management strategy.
• Conduct regular evaluations of communications and knowledge management outcomes, and adjust the strategy as needed.
• Maintain internal communication dashboard to keep a track of organizational communication goals
4. Event management – 10%
• Support in executing high-impact activities to raise the organization’s visibility and influence through supporting conferences/events/roundtables as aligned with the organization’s outreach strategy
• Support in strengthening post-event communications and keep an open dialogue with stakeholders to keep them apprised of the organization’s work
• Produce resources& collaterals to support events and awards applications
Key skills and competencies:
• Bachelor’s Degree in development, communications, journalism, English, management, or related fields. Masters is a plus.
• Minimum 7-9 years’ experience in communications, preferably developing high-quality resources and publications, video and audio resources, writing for a range of publications, handling the media, and brand messaging through social media.
• Communication: Translates complex ideas into clear, impactful messages for a range of audiences, using a variety of methods and media to engage and win understanding. Extracts and constructs powerful and engaging stories from program activities. Demonstrates excellent command of English and Hindi.
• Creating and Innovating: Contributes new, interesting, and effective ways of getting messages about AIF’s programs to the people who need to hear them. Confidently contributes well thought through ideas, and sees them through to implementation. Continually scans the external environment for trends, insights, ideas, and good practices to share with the team.
• Digital First: Use digital technology, social media, and tools to achieve AIF’s goals and program objectives
• Collaboration: Works collaboratively within the team, sharing expertise, know-how, and ideas. Works collaboratively with a range of external stakeholders, consultants, and vendors.
• Efficiency and Effectiveness: Effectively manage conflicting priorities across programs and projects. Responds flexibly, adaptably, and positively to unforeseen events and changing circumstances.
• Specific Knowledge Desirable but not Essential: Working familiarity with desktop publishing software such as MailChimp, Canva, InDesign, or MS Publisher. General knowledge of key issues affecting marginalized people in India, in the field of education, public health, and livelihoods.
Other: Salary commensurate with experience.
Position Availability: Immediately
Application Process: To apply for this position, send your CV and covering letter describing how you meet the specifications for this role and what you bring to it to email@example.com with the subject line “Manager, Communications”
Deadline for applications: Monday, June 20, 2022.
Only applications of shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org