Website Dakshin Foundation
Number of vacancies: One
Position: Project Manager – Marine Flagships
Location: The position will be based at Dakshin Foundation’s head office in Bangalore and will involve
travel to project sites in Odisha, Lakshadweep, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Maharashtra and other
Last date to apply: 30th September 2022
About the Marine Flagships programme:
The Marine Flagships programme, one of the core thematic programmes at Dakshin Foundation, works on species that are ecologically significant and act as ambassadors for the conservation of coastal and marine ecosystems. The programme uses these iconic marine species to address issues of coastal development and conservation through research and outreach programmes. We partner with local communities, administrative units and conservation groups along the coast of India.
Currently, the Marine Flagships programme includes long term projects on the biology and conservation of sea turtles in Odisha, Lakshadweep and ANI; elasmobranch biology and fisheries monitoring in Malvan; and Reef Log – a diver-based initiative to monitor marine ecosystems across the India coast.
Dakshin Foundation invites applications from suitable, highly motivated candidates for the position of Project Manager of the Marine Flagships programme. The position is a mid-level management role within the organisation and involves a combination of technical, administrative and outreach work to ensure smooth functioning of various projects in the program. The Project Manager will work in close coordination with the Science Manager and report to the Programme Head, Marine Flagships. While this is a long-term position, we will initially offer a one-year contract to the successful candidate (with a 6-month probationary period), to be renewed on the basis of performance and mutual fit. The position requires an independent, dynamic, enterprising and organised individual to fulfill the following responsibilities.
• Overseeing the smooth functioning and day-to-day administration of the activities under the Marine Flagships programme.
• Liaising with the different projects within the programme and assist with their management.
• Writing and coordinating funding proposals, including creating detailed budgets, for ongoing and upcoming projects to ensure the continuity and growth of the programme’s work.
• Liaising with various donors and government agencies, and ensuring that the project deliverables and reporting requirements for different projects under the programme are met.
• Tracking and financial management of the programme’s budgets and expenditures in coordination with Dakshin’s Finance team.
• Liaising with the Forest Department at various field sites to ensure timely procurement of permits and submission of reports and other deliverables.
• Ensuring regular communication of the programme’s work and activities to various audiences through reports, outreach materials, social media, etc.
• Coordinating and working with other programmes and personnel at Dakshin as part of crossprogrammatic collaborative projects and initiatives.
1) A PhD or Master’s degree in Marine science/ecology, environmental science or any allied discipline.
2) PhDs should have 2-3 years of experience in project management; Master’s degree holders should have at least 4-5 years of experience including both research and project management.
3) Prior experience of working in marine ecology or on other flagship species (through research and/or interventions) in the Indian context.
4) Strong coordination and people management skills.
5) Excellent communication skills in English (written and spoken).
6) A working knowledge of Hindi and one or more languages spoken in India’s coastal states will be an added advantage.
Salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and work experience, in line with our
How to apply:
1) Please email your interest in applying for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Application for the position of Project Manager – Marine Flagships” and you will be sent an online form to fill in the details necessary to process your application.
2) This position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is identified. Interested individuals are therefore requested to apply immediately.
Dakshin Foundation is a non-profit, non-governmental organisation based in Bangalore, India, with field offices and interventions across the coastline of India and in its oceanic islands. Our mission is to inform and advocate conservation and natural resource management, while promoting and supporting sustainable livelihoods, social development and environmental justice. To learn more about our interventions and research projects please take a look at our website, www.dakshin.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com