Website Poverty Action Lab
J-PAL South Asia at the Institute for Financial Management and Research seeks a qualified applicant for the position of Research Associate to lead impact evaluations in India. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. The Research Associate will join a team of world class researchers from leading universities in the world and will gain first-hand experience implementing Randomized Control Trials in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. The position will be based out of Hyderabad, with frequent trips to the field and coordination with the study partner.
About the Project
Machine-harvestable chickpea (MHCP) varieties increase farmer profits by reducing harvest costs and post-harvest losses. However, its adoption faces challenges of machine harvester availability with proper changes in harvester blades, appropriate field preparation and reservations about yield equivalence. In this study, we aim to address two distinct research questions via a large-scale randomized controlled trial. First, we address the constraints to MHCP adoption by ensuring guaranteed access to machine harvesters by study farmers as well as improved extension outreach to enable appropriate plot preparation and disseminate accurate yield information. Second, by using an appropriate saturation design, we plan to study the impact of this technology on local labor – with a special emphasis on women labor- and other markets. The study includes a pilot and a full-scale RCT.
The Principal Investigators on the project are Aprajit Mahajan and Sayantan Mitra from University of California, Berkeley and Swamikannu Nedumaran from ICRISAT, India.
Research Associates work closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety tasks including, but not limited to:
– Design and refine survey instruments
– Manage a full-scale randomized control trial. Oversee the implementation of the evaluation in accordance to the research design in association with our partner organization
– Manage teams during pilot and scale-up phases: Recruit, train, and supervise a team of enumerators
– Supervise data collection and data-entry to ensure good data quality during pilot and scale-up phases
– Maintain relationship with partner organizations at headquarters
– Build relationships with local stakeholders on field to ensure smooth project implementation
– Assist with data cleaning and preliminary data analysis
– Assist in preparation of documents and presentations for donor reporting as well as dissemination activities
– Report to PIs on all of the above-mentioned activities
– A Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in engineering, economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields
– Previous experience in development research preferred (any experience in agriculture sector in India is beneficial).
– Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
– Fluency and excellent communication skills in English. Conversational Telugu skills are strongly preferred.
– Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player
– Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
– Knowledge of Stata (strongly preferred) or other data analysis software is preferred
– Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred
– Ability to deal with unstructured and changing environments
Note on Work Authorizations:
Candidates must have work authorization to work in India.
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select Research Associate- Diffusion of Machine-harvestable Chickpeas and Implications for Labor Markets in India- J-PAL South Asia and include resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
To apply for this job please visit apply.povertyactionlab.org.