Website Poverty Action Lab
The Finance and Operations group at J-PAL Global (J-PAL’s headquarters) supports J- PAL’s mission to efficiently translate research by J-PAL affiliates into actionable poverty alleviation policies around the world. We are looking to hire staff who combine a strong passion for working with organizations around the world to inform development policy with solid administrative abilities to further our mission. The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is recruiting a Salesforce developer to join our growing IT team. This position is based out of a J-PAL South Asia office in Delhi or Chennai, India operating under the management of J-PAL’s worldwide IT Manager based at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge, MA.
J-PAL uses Salesforce to manage the data of our worldwide operations, including personnel, projects, and grant making. As we have grown this platform has become a key tool for management and requires a highly skilled specialist to provide ongoing support as well as the development and deployment of new, integrated tools.
Your work provides the foundation for J-PAL’s growing Salesforce org. As a Salesforce Developer, your primary tasks will involve implementation, collaboration, project management, and Salesforce development. Typical responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work on Objects, fields, permission sets, flows, user handling and other administrative processes.
- Researching and suggesting solutions to Salesforce issues such as duplications, reporting and dashboard management, permissions, etc
- May include some Salesforce Administration requests such as resetting passwords or adjusting permissions as needed.
- Work with users to create reports and dashboard for better data analytics; Develop new report types when necessary.
- Create and update validation rules to improve data quality.
- Implement workflows to automate business processes.
- Merge duplicate contact, account and custom object records.
- Update Lightning Page Layouts to improve ease of use and system speed.
- Help communications group use Marketing Cloud to send emails.
- Migrate data between formats and objects using third-party tools such as dataloader.io and Salesforce’s Data Loader application.
- Create support documentation and training videos.
- Take an active role in maintenance and long-term sustainability of the Salesforce org.
- Test Salesforce releases prior to upgrade to assure system functionality.
- Assist in implementing new (sometimes third-party) applications such as FoundationConnect, including acceptance testing and user training.
- Development of custom solution using LWC/ Aura components to resolve functional issues.
- Work independently on creation of requirement documents and project planning.
Implementation: Under supervision of J-PAL Global’s IT Manager based in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA, carry out data entry/cleaning and implementation tasks for our established Salesforce org, including incorporation of tools into Salesforce for J-PAL’s grants, human resource, and project management. Use modern best practices to test new features prior to release, update existing processes and objects, and assist to deploy third-party solutions. Assist in the release process to minimize downtime and provide a high-level of support to users during the release. Create and maintain documentation on the setup and configuration of the org.
Collaboration: Work with J-PAL IT staff at the Global office to anticipate and respond to the Salesforce.org business needs of staff at Global and all regional offices, as well as Affiliates, and partners. You will assist the IT Manager for any Salesforce feature requests, collecting requirements, exploring and understanding the core, underlying nature of the request as well as providing tier-two support on Salesforce support requests. Salesforce staff have the opportunity to work across J-PAL’s research, training, and policy groups and participate in meetings providing training for our Global office at MIT and regional offices around the world.
Project Management: With the IT Manager, identify the most important needs among current feature requests. Assist the IT team in all aspects of project management including, creation of timelines, scheduling of future work and communicating changes and updates.
Salesforce Support: Maintain the quality of J-PAL’s Salesforce org through data cleaning and importing, assisting with the migration roll out to Foundation Connect, keeping tabs on new features, and training users on how to best use the system.
Position logistics This position will be attached to a J-PAL office in India, preferably our Delhi or Chennai offices. Following a period of time, regular work may be completed from home, with some regular time in the office. Work from home is expected to make evening meetings with J-PAL in the US more convenient on a regular basis.
Your technical expertise, strong communication and organizational skills, and interest in supporting J-PAL’s mission make you an ideal candidate for the Salesforce developer position.
Education: You hold at least a bachelor’s degree with significant training in information technology or software engineering. Do you have a demonstrated interest in developing code or automation technologies? Even better.
Experience: This position requires two to three years of relevant work experience.
Skills: You are comfortable in all aspects of Salesforce’s declarative administrative interface. You know the difference between permission sets, sharing rules and profiles. You know when Apex code might be required, but you might not be comfortable writing it yourself. Knowledge of marketing systems such as the Salesforce Marketing Cloud and integration tools like Informatica or Jitterbit are helpful. Salesforce Administrator Certification strongly desired.
Communication: You are detail-oriented and have strong English writing skills. You understand how to communicate technical topics to a non-technical audience, across the globe. You are precise, clear, and creative.
Organization: You can handle multiple projects at once. You have experience working with a team to create realistic timelines, meet deadlines, communicate issues and work to resolve issues as they arise. You have a good understanding of when to use your best judgment and when to seek clarification or help.
Attitude: You love learning. You are passionate about technology and how it can be used to support J-PAL’s mission. You are self-motivated, work hard, and enjoy working in teams.
Work day: At least twice weekly you will need to be able to work a late schedule of approximately 11:30 am to 8:30 pm IST to allow calls and video meetings with J-PAL’s US staff.
How to Apply
- Prepare a cover letter and resume/CV. They should be combined into a single word or pdf document that is under 1MB.
- Complete the application form below and upload your cover letter/resume to the form. The name of the position is “Salesforce Developer”. Applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Shortlisted applicants will be asked to complete a technical exercise. Finalists will be called for virtual interviews.
- Due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to follow up individually with all applicants. For applicants who successfully advance to the next stage, we will request references whom we can contact to learn more about you and your suitability for this role.
To apply for this job please visit forms.gle.