Website Gates Foundation
In June 2020, the foundation established a new Communications Division, led by the Chief Communications Officer, to oversee the foundation’s global communications strategy. The division brings together internal and external communications to advance the foundation’s mission of a more equitable world.
Leadership and Culture
Our culture shapes our choices about what we do and how we do it. We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment can do extraordinary things. We expect foundation employees to intentionally and consistently embody our values of optimism, collaboration, rigor, innovation and inclusion.
Our efforts in India focus on key issues that will affect the future of India’s most vulnerable communities: reproductive, maternal, newborn, and child health and nutrition; urban sanitation; agricultural development; gender equality, and digital financial inclusion.
With a particular focus on Bihar and Uttar Pradesh, we work with partners to develop impactful and sustainable solutions to improve the quality and coverage of key services for the poor and vulnerable. We also work in the states of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Maharashtra, and Madhya Pradesh to support programs in urban sanitation, agricultural development, gender equality, and digital financial inclusion.
The Senior Communications Officer in India will design and implement communications-based strategies that support the foundation’s program and policy goals in India. The role will work in close collaboration with global including India colleagues across Communications, Global Policy & Advocacy, and our Program teams to systematically use resources and capabilities in support of country/region-specific initiatives.
The role will report to Deputy Director – Program Advocacy, Communications, and Behavioural Insights.
- Develop and implement innovative communications strategies designed to reach key audiences that are critical to the success of the foundation’s programs and policy strategies.
- Drive effective integration of research into strategy, messaging, story identification and storytelling that can be used for the foundation’s brand.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the communications and policy teams in India and Seattle to develop these communication strategies for achieving the stated advocacy goals.
- Develop a clear, and consistent voice and content strategy to advance the objectives of the program and brand portfolio.
- Responsible for leading media relationship management, news monitoring, drafting, and dissemination of media materials.
- Responsible for working with colleagues and partners to place on-message stories that advance our advocacy and reputation goals and change perception on issues of priority and respond to media inquiries to achieve the same and mitigate risk.
- Manage communication agencies while coordinating with the brand team to ensure delivery as per agreed mandate and outcomes including brand storytelling.
- Coordinate with the digital team to develop an appropriate communication plan to support online dissemination of content relevant to the issues and brand objectives as per aligned content calendar.
- Coordinate effectively to monitor, strategically assess and mitigate communications risks associated with the program portfolio and the foundation’s reputation.
- Responsible for developing other collaterals and content for clear messaging of the program strategies and their impacts, to the relevant audiences.
- Additionally, a key deliverable in line with the foundation’s brand strategy is to focus on brand-forward story identification, development, brief-writing and production oversight while working with the brand and digital teams in India and in Seattle, for the foundation’s owned and earned channels.
- Advise on locally generated and localized content creation, including identifying and elevating voices and stories of success, in partnership with grantees, partners, and external experts in India and globally in coordination with Seattle Communication and GPA offices, to integrate into the communications-wide storytelling effort.
- Collaborate with the foundation’s digital and brand agency teams to understand the content needs of relevant audiences and curate content and stories accordingly to strengthen the foundation’s brand and reputation.
- Lead on content and story generation from India and from the region such that it highlights the foundation’s contribution and strengthens our brand and reputation in the market.
- Work closely with partners and grantees to assess and strengthen capacities for developing and deploying integrated communication strategies.
- Externally engage with grantees, government agencies, and development partners for the alignment of communication strategies, where appropriate.
- Coordinate with the Measurement, Learning and Evaluation team to ensure measurement of the impact of the implemented communication strategies (online and offline) and course correct as required.
Core knowledge & skills
- Communications professional with global experience working with media in India and experience serving as spokesperson for a significant, high-profile organization such as a major non-profit entity, government agency, or public corporation
- Work experience requiring strong written and oral communication skills for a broad and diverse audience, including experience preparing communication materials with complex subject matter.
- Knowledge working directly with high profile individuals, working in government, public affairs, and/or communications roles aimed at influencing policy change.
- Ability to bridge the needs of the media and internal constituencies.
- Demonstrated ability of PR agency management, effectively and cost-effectively.
- Demonstrated success in developing and handling communications for organizational leadership around policy initiatives, communications programs and projects.
- Demonstrated analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Substantial exposure to political issues (domestic and/or international), where significant discretion and judgment must be exercised.
- Demonstrated effectiveness and interest in leading and coordinating colleagues from across a variety of subject areas in a complex organization.
- Ability to work with flexibility, efficiency, enthusiasm, and diplomacy both individually and as part of a complex team effort.
- Ability to travel up to 30% domestically and internationally.
Education and Experience
- Preferred 10+ years of experience, preferably with experience in either the public and/or non-profit sectors in India.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Journalist or Media Advocacy experience preferred.
*Must be able to legally work in the country where this position is located without visa sponsorship.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Depending upon your work location, we may require proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 and any recommended booster doses. All employees based in the United States are to provide proof of full vaccination upon hire and any recommended boosters, subject to applicable laws.
If you require assistance due to a disability in the application or recruitment process, please submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are dedicated to the belief that all lives have equal value. We’re committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we aim to serve—in race, gender, age, cultures and beliefs—and we support this diversity through all of our employment practices.
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve our mission will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to race, color, age, religion, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and prior protected activity.
To apply for this job please visit gatesfoundation.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.