Website Dakshin Foundation
Dakshin Foundation – RECYCLING FOR WELLBEING
Number of vacancies: One
Position: Senior Programme Associate
Last date to apply: September 30, 2022 – the position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is identified, so please apply at the earliest.
Location: Location: The position requires the individual to be based in one of the project sites in the coastal districts of the Palk Bay, Tamil Nadu. It will also involve periodic travel to Bangalore for project meetings and will entail considerable work-related travel across the coastal districts of the Palk Bay and Gulf of Mannar.
Duration: One year (renewable subject to performance and availability of project funding).
Some of the most problematic outcomes for coastal and marine systems are in the form of pollution (particularly from marine debris and plastics), degradation of coastal and marine habitats, and loss of livelihoods. The proposed project aims to address these three core challenges along the Palk Bay coastline (in select coastal villages spread across 4 coastal districts) through targeted and sustained engagements at the grassroots with small-scale marine fishing communities. It involves a combination of research and grassroots interventions on building . It focuses on empowering communities to use resources and skills sustainably while simultaneously building leadership training and sustainability entrepreneurship in fisheries. Dakshin’s context-based approach, the proposed project will pioneer on ground activities that improve local community and environmental wellbeing through capacity-building, skill upgradation and facilitating onground action and partnerships. The broad components are:
• Undertaking a scoping towards broad-scale coastal needs assessment (focus on governance and livelihoods)
• Building local networks and partnerships for sustained collaboration.
• Designing and operationalising participatory mapping and critical cleanup campaigns in select sites.
• Support to coastal youth hubs to address coastal and marine degradation
• Harnessing ICT and design-centred messaging to support healthy ecosystems and communities
• Operate a Coastal Grassroots Fellowship on coastal and marine sustainability in the Palk Bay Chief responsibilities of the Sr.Prog. Associate
We are looking for a committed, self-motivated team player for this position. Responsibilities are:
1. Execute specified activities under the Recycling for Well-being project with the Project Team, on the components specified above.
2. Undertake field-based basic research, conduct meetings (online and face-to-face) with project partners, collaborators and experts towards the goals of the project and programme more generally.
3. Undertake field-travel across the Palk Bay, Tamil Nadu and engage with members of the local fisher community, with local partner organisation and state government officials towards meeting programmatic goals.
4. Undertake networking with wider fishworker associations and coalitions in consultation with the project advisors and Programme Heads.
5. Undertake periodic documentation and maintenance of project data.
6. To assist in the development of funding proposals for additional research and interventions in line with the programme’s objectives.
7. To coordinate with other CRG staff to perform necessary administrative, organisational development and personnel management responsibilities.
Candidates must possess the following basic qualifications/skills:
1. A minimum of two years of work experience demonstrating independent thinking and capable execution of social science projects relating to environment / development.
2. A Master’s degree, preferably in the social sciences, social work, development studies, environmental studies, or law (with specialisation in environmental law or human rights law).
3. A demonstrable understanding of issues related to development, coastal conservation and environmental governance in India.
4. Ability to work with a range of social groups and local institutions in rural settings such as grassroots conservation organisations, fishworker associations, research organisations and urban and rural advocacy groups in India.
5. Ability to independently facilitate group meetings and demonstrate high attention to detail and planning.
6. Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
7. Spoken proficiency in Tamil is compulsory. Written proficiency will be a bonus.
Remuneration: Commensurate with experience and Dakshin’s internal salary scales. Outstanding and deserving candidates will be paid in the higher range of our salary scales at rates that are competitive within the sector.
How to apply: Please email your application to email@example.com with the subject line “Application for position of Senior Programme Associate – Recycling for Well-being and you will be sent an online form to fill in the details necessary to process your application.
About us: Dakshin Foundation is a non-profit, non-governmental organisation based at Bangalore, India, with a mission to inform and advocate conservation and natural resource management, while promoting and supporting sustainable livelihoods, social development and environmental justice. Please look at our website to learn about our intervention and research projects at www.dakshin.org.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org