Website Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Software Engineer to join the Metrics Platform team to build various metrics capabilities on top of the Mediawiki Platform that powers Wikipedia, Wikivoyage, Wiktionary, and several other Wikis. As an engineer on this team, you will be responsible for ensuring that Mediawiki enables feature teams to add instrumentation and metrics that allow them to understand how their features are being used and how to make them better. You will also build A/B experimentation capabilities that will aid the Product department in choosing between different variants of features and make data-driven decisions.
You are responsible for:
- Gathering requirements from Product stakeholders
- Building metrics and instrumentation capabilities
- Building A/B experimentation capabilities
- Maintaining libraries in several languages that provide these capabilities
Skills and Experience:
- Fullstack web development experience with especially strong PHP backend experience
- A strong understanding of web technologies (HTTP, CDNs, caching)
Qualities that are important to us:
- The ability to work together with several other teams.
- The ability to work with a legacy codebase and reduce technical debt as you make progress.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- An understanding of statistical hypothesis testing.
- Experience with Kafka.
- Understanding or experience in working with data pipelines.
- Understanding or experience with optimizing the performance of websites at scale
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.