About the TNUSSP
The Department of Municipal Administration and Water Supply, Government of Tamil Nadu Municipal (MAWS, GoTN) aims at scaling up access to safe and sustainable sanitation to all its urban areas in the next five years. Tamil Nadu will be poised to becoming a fully sanitised and healthy state, substantially eliminating open defecation, achieving improvements through the entire sanitation value chain, safely disposing an increasing proportion of its human excreta, and re-using/ recovering resources therefrom. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) is supporting GoTN to achieve the Sanitation Mission of Tamil Nadu. This support shall enable the GoTN in investing resources towards innovative solutions to achieve mission goals.
A Technical Support Unit (TSU) has been set up to be the comprehensive technical arm for the MAWS-GoTN, and assists in implementation of state-level and city-level initiatives, based on agreed parameters. In addition, two sub-TSUs have been set up in two select urban locations.
IIHS is supporting the Government of Tamil Nadu, and is the lead agency for implementation of the TNUSSP (see tnussp.co.in).
The Practice Team at IIHS is responsible for providing cutting-edge and integrated solutions to India’s urban development challenges by bringing together faculty and experts across diverse domains of knowledge and practice; exposing learners to real-life problems and integrating the practice into academics and research.
The Specialist – Public Sanitation Services will be responsible for overseeing the operations and maintenance of the community toilets and public toilets (CT/PTs) supported through the program, creating revenue generation models for sustainability of the operations and maintenance of the toilets at Chennai. The job entails partnering with organisations to develop plans including strategic planning, operational efficiencies, etc.
The position of Specialist could be either a regular position or a contractual project-based engagement. The Specialist will be based out of Chennai, with travel as necessary across the project sites in Chennai.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Regular monitoring and overseeing of vendor’s work at site;
- Ensuring that vendor maintains high standards of housekeeping, hygiene and cleanliness in the toilet blocks as defined in the Service Level Agreement;
- Identifying and reporting minor repair and maintenance work required at CT/PTs and coordinating with the engineering team and the vendor to get it completed as soon as possible;
- Vendor performance review and compliance management;
- Periodic review of budgets with actual expenses, analysis and corrective action.; identifying and implementing opportunities for cost control of operation and management of CT/PTs;
- Providing inputs/ working with vendors to deliver behaviour change communication;
- Ensuring that all the applicable statutory documents are up to date ;
- Supporting in selection of self-help groups (SHGs), community-based groups (CBOs) and individuals from local communities for operations and maintenance of the CT/PTs;
- Providing inputs in the development of community capacity building modules for SHGs, CBOs and individuals;
- Participating and supporting delivery of community capacity building modules;
- Monitoring and supervising the activities implemented by SHGs/CBOs/entrepreneurs and reporting the status to the supervisor;
- Supporting by handholding the SHGs/CBOs and entrepreneurs for effective project implementation;
- Supporting and training the SHGs/CBOs on conflict resolution and problem solving;
- Providing all required support to SHGs/CBOs/entrepreneurs in undertaking revenue generation activities;
- Monitoring the record keeping of the revenue generation activities;
- Documenting the case studies of the revenue generation activities;
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Collecting data from vendors as well as from site, and reporting the project activities on a weekly/monthly basis;
- Preparing consolidated monthly progress reports for O&M and revenue generation activities;
- Ensuring that all reports submitted to IIHS be in English;
- Ensuring that all documents/reports shared with the SHG/CBOs/entrepreneurs be translated to Tamil;
- Maintaining high level of collaboration and coordination with all stakeholders;
- Ensuring timely completion of project activities according to the weekly and monthly plans;
- Working with other internal teams to ensure effective implementation of the programmes;
- Providing support to other IIHS activities including academics, research, practice, training, operations and others;
- Participating in all activities of Institution-Building at IIHS; carrying out tasks as assigned by IIHS; and traveling on IIHS work within or outside the country as and when needed.
Structure and Reporting
The Specialist – Public Sanitation Service, TNUSSP will report to the Team leader or to any other person designated by the Team Leader, TNUSSP at IIHS and will be required to collaborate effectively with a diverse group of internal teams and external individuals/ organiSations, and students.
The applicant is required to be a graduate with around 4 years of experience, including at least 2 years of experience in facilities management services and/or mobilising communities for enterprise development. Experience in managing public or community toilets would be an advantage. Experience in setting up community-based enterprise activities would be an added advantage.
S/he should also have experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams, good people management and facilitation skills, and significant competency in documentation and coordination, along with proficiency in MS Office. Reading and writing skills in Tamil and English are essential.
This offer could be either for a regular position or for a contractual project-based engagement. The offer is on an exclusive basis, which implies that other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with IIHS cannot be undertaken.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
The position is based in Chennai with regular travelling to the project locations in Chennai and sometimes to other locations within the state or country.
Review and Assessment
The role and performance of the incumbent shall be subject to normal review and assessment systems at IIHS.
IIHS is an equal opportunity employer that encourages women, people with disabilities and those from economically and socially excluded communities with the requisite skills and qualifications to apply for positions.
Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any clarifications while filling the online application form.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.