Website SEWA Cooperative Federation
Self-Employed Women’s Association (SEWA) is a movement of women workers in the informal economy, working towards the economic empowerment of these workers. Over 50 years, 2.1 million women in India across 18 states have become members of this decentralized, grassroots movement. SEWA Cooperative Federation, works to support women’s collective enterprises (WCEs), across sectors, enabling them to become viable, to innovate and to scale. Over 30 years, we have promoted 100+ women’s cooperatives, reaching 300,000 informal women workers, across sectors of work: agriculture and allied activities, handicrafts, services, social security, finance and vending.
We offer specialized services, such as capacity building, governance, working capital, finance and compliance, research, marketing and communications to these WCEs, and work with them closely, as mentors, to enable growth. This package of services and handholding is offered as a Women’s Enterprise Support System.
To achieve these goals, SEWA Cooperative Federation comprises of a team of experts, both for organizational guidance and for sector-specific knowledge in:
– Business development and strategy
– Marketing and PR
– Capacity building
– HR and Administration
– Research and advocacy
– Compliance to Regulations
Designation: Sr. Research Manager
Scope of Work: Research is an important component of the support system. The team works on action-based research projects, market research projects, and research for advocacy. The Research Manager will work closely with the Dy Managing-Director and Research Associate(s) to develop and implement a strong research team strategy and vision within the larger vision of SEWA Cooperative Federation to enable women workers and their enterprises to achieve full employment and self-reliance.
Experience: 5 – 7 years of relevant experience in the Indian development sector, wherein 3 – 4 year experience relevant experience as Research Manager / Research Coordinator
Qualification: PhD/Master’s degree in Economics, Gender Studies, Sociology, Development Studies, or a related field of study.
● A self-starter with high energy, wishing to explore potential areas for lasting impact and gaining experience of multiple stages of the project life cycle.
● Excellent computer skills with proficiency in standard MS Office applications.
● Excellent writing skills.
● Ability to read, write and speak English and Hindi is a must. Gujarati speaking and reading skills would be a plus.
● Strong written and oral communication skills.
● Demonstrated ability to put together presentations and infographics.
● Previous experience of undertaking fieldwork and field training.
● Strong management and leadership skills.
● Ability to multi-task and take responsibility for the timely completion of activities.
● Previous experience of writing proposals for the social and development sector.
● Strong Microsoft Office skills.
● Have a network to loop in experts, advisors, and other consultants.
● Expertise in either quantitative and qualitative research knowledge or experience.
Task & Deliverables:
1.1 Research work for projects:
a. Lead innovation and design of new research projects for SEWA Cooperative Federation and for enterprises, across sectors.
b. Develop notes, reports, papers linked to advocacy at various levels
– local, national and international
c. Identify and design market-oriented research for women’s enterprises.
d. Fundraise for the research team, and the Federation, by networking with various stakeholders, developing proposals, implementing and monitoring work.
1.2 Project Management:
a. Coordinate within SEWA Cooperative Federation to collaborate with different teams and ensure the timely execution including monitoring and reporting.
b. Manage existing and new research projects.
● Immediate joiners will be preferred
Application Process Interested candidates can email their CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title as the subject line. The file name for the CV should follow this format: Job Title Applicant First Name. Women candidates will be preferred for all positions.
In your email, please mention why you are interested in this opportunity and how you think you can contribute to the work of SEWA Cooperative Federation.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com