UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP works in almost 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We support countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results. UNDP has worked in India since 1951 in almost all areas of human development, from democratic governance to poverty eradication, to sustainable energy and environmental management. UNDP’s programmes are aligned with national priorities and its projects are designed in consultation with national stakeholders and contribute directly to the Government of India – UNDP Country Programme and the United Nations Sustainable Development Framework (UNSDF).
UNDP is currently implementing 42 projects with footprints in all the states of India across the following programme areas -poverty reduction, democratic governance, environment and energy supporting the achievement of all the 17 Sustainable Development Goals. UNDP in Odisha is partnering under this Modality with Department of Panchayati Raj and Drinking Water since 2017 and with Agriculture and Farmers Empowerment Department recently i.e. 2021.
Duties and Responsibilities
This is a full time position to be based at UNDP Odisha State office- Bhubaneswar, Odisha and under the overall guidance and supervision of the Head of State Office (Odisha), the Project Associate will support the state office in the overall management of State office and the projects implemented at the state level by providing administrative services, administers and executes processes and transactions ensuring high quality and accuracy of work.
The Project Associate will also be required to support UNDP’s intervention in Rural Housing, RKVY and any other project that is being implemented directly by the state office. The Project associate is expected to support the state head in identifying opportunities, develop programmes and their implementation strategies to promote national and state priorities, including the SDGs.
S/he will also work in close collaboration with the State Outreach office and SDG officer, Operations, Programme and Project staff in the CO to exchange information and ensure accurate and consistent service delivery.
Summary of Key Functions are as follows:
- Assist Implementation of operational strategies.
- Efficient administrative support.
- Support to supply and assets management.
- Accounting and administrative support.
- State Office cash management if required.
- Implementation of HR policies and procurement process.
- Administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system.
Overall Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support State level projects
- Support to UNDP programmatic work:
- Identifying entry points in consultation with the State government.
- Identifying opportunities for high value addition/high impact projects, testing of innovative development solutions, and scaling up successful initiatives at various levels State, district or community.
- Undertaking research, writing concepts notes, technical proposals, reports and any other technical document to support the expansion of the UNDP engagement with the State Government in various sectors.
- Support to strengthen the capacities for planning and implementation at state and district level, to deliver on key development priorities and objectives.
Support for Stakeholder Engagement:
- Engaging other stakeholders, including other UN agencies for disseminating information on UNDP work.
- Promoting synergies between various specialized agencies, think tanks and other knowledge hubs for strengthening linkages with UNDP.
Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results
Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies:
- Provision of inputs to the state office administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs) in procurement and logistics in consultation with supervisor.
- Preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
- Coordination of travel arrangements, including purchase of tickets, DSA calculations, PO preparation, arrangement of shipment/courier.
- Support procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals.
- Organization of workshops, conferences, retreats/ hotel and conference facilities service.
- Support with protocol matters, coordination with local authority on space and other administrative matters.
- Provision of required information for audit.
- Management of cash receipts and petty cash as required.
- Maintenance of the proper filing system for finance, HR and procurement records and documents.
- Training of staff on administrative procedures.
- Briefing/debriefing of staff members on issues relating to area of work.
- Timely preparation of cost-recovery bills in ERP (Atlas) for the services provided by UNDP at state level as required.
- Preparation and input project budget in ERP (ATLAS) for approval (can be done only on the basis of signed project documents and project budgets).
- Preparation of monthly/quarterly/annual financial reports for donor including for DSS funded projects as required.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system for voucher processing, posting and recording are matched and completed.
- Timely closure of accounts.
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Timely response to CO requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Implementation of HR processes in State Office as applicable including support to contract management.
Provides support to proper supply and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Coordination of assets management in the state office, timely preparation and submission of periodic inventory reports.
- Coordination of the provision of reliable and quality office supplies.
- Implementation of supplier selection and evaluation.
- Recording receipt of goods in ERP (ATLAS) towards the delivery of the goods/services.
- Any other work assigned by the supervisor.
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches.
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position.
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks.
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Development Studies, Public Administration or Business Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience of working with the government at national level or sub-national level in the area of inter-sectoral planning.
- Experience in research and policy-level analysis, including in formulation, monitoring and evaluation of strategies and development programmes/ projects.
- Exposure to state Planning Processes and annual budgeting exercise of the government.
- Experience in coordination with stakeholders.
- Adequate experience of drafting Project Proposals including monitoring tools such as log frame among others.
- Experience in Project planning and implementation.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Working experience with the Government of Odisha/ other international or national organizations.
- Sound knowledge of UNDP rules and regulations, policies, procedures and practices.
- Certificate in Financial Management, SPSS, Tally would be an asset.
- Fluency in Odia, English and Hindi is essential.
- Travel may be required upon project requirements. Reimbursement of Travel Expenses and DSA will be made as per UNDP India norm upon prior approval from the supervisor.
To apply for this job please visit estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.