About the Organization
We are One Young World, empowering and developing young leaders to build a fair, sustainable future for all.
It all begins with the annual One Young World Summit – the beating heart of what we are about. For young leaders, the Summit is the landmark event of the year. It is a chance for the individuals responsible for shaping the future of our world, to come together to confront the biggest challenges facing humanity. The Summit is the ultimate place to be inspired, share learnings, and connect. Together we raise the bar for what it is possible to achieve as leaders, individually and collectively. The One Young World Summit 2023 will take place in Belfast, UK from 2 – 5 October 2023.
About the Grant
The importance of water, sanitation and hygiene transcends time and geography—but even where this is explicitly recognized in policy, the needs of hundreds of millions of global citizens remain unmet. In 2020, 2 billion people still lack safely managed drinking water services, 3.6 billion lack safely managed sanitation services, and 2.3 billion lack basic hygiene services. Such limitations lead to wider spread of serious diseases such as diarrhoea and pneumonia, the top two killers of young children under 5 around the world.
Additionally, 673 million people still practice open defecation, and an estimated 367 million children attend a school with no sanitation facilities at all
Meeting SDG6 targets by 2030 requires a 4 x increase in pace of progress.
Reckitt has time and again reinstated its commitment towards SDG 6 by working tirelessly with local communities, social enterprises, government, NGOs and various charitable organizations around the world to improve access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene. Dettol’s Hygiene Quest has taught almost 2 million children about the importance of handwashing resulting in over 8,000 more days at school because of reduced illness. Through Reckitt’s partnership with Water.org, over 1.8 million people have been provided with loans so they can plan and build their own taps and toilets.
The focus of this challenge is not limited to providing equitable basic sanitation and hygiene facilities but to also creating a sustainable ecosystem that ensures, year after year, continuous development and increasing awareness. Reckitt believes social business has a powerful role to play in solving the world’s greatest problems, where investment lives over and over again through income generating models that make solutions truly sustainable and long term. Through this, Reckitt wants to work as a catalyst, supporting pioneering solutions to scale.
Reckitt is proud to have supported the Lead2030 SDG6 challenge since 2019, working in partnership with 3 outstanding social entrepreneurs with innovative approaches to tackling SDG6. Reckitt wants to continue to build on this success in 2023, by supporting innovations that create measurable impact by enabling access to clean water, sanitation or hygiene, and are particularly interested in innovations with a focus on children or women/girls.
Whilst Reckitt are interested to receive applications that target at a wide range of areas within WASH, there is a particularly interest in hearing about innovations that do either of the following:
- Make innovative use of digital technology to reach more people and enable access to water, sanitation, and hygiene on a wide scale
- Promote good hand hygiene practices amongst underserved communities
The winning solution will receive:
- Sponsorship to participate in the One Young World Summit 2023.
- A US$50,000 grant from Reckitt.
- 12 months of mentorship from a team of Reckitt professionals. The mentorship team will work to accelerate your solution based on the needs of your initiative or organisation.
- Aligned: Evidently aligned with the SDG6 challenge. See ‘About’.
- Youth-led: Founded by a person aged 18 – 30.
- Focused: Well-structured time horizon, identified key stakeholders and beneficiaries, and proposed outcomes that are reasonable and well thought out.
- Proven: Solution is readily available, being piloted, implemented, or scaled
- Impactful: Solutions must have a positive social impact, for example, generating educational outcomes, employment opportunities, or developing skills.
- Measurable: Solution’s impact in society must be adequately measured and/or be measurable.
- Financially viable: Must be able to achieve efficiency and to survive independently through the resources they generate and/or the investments and donations they attract.
- Scalable: Potential to grow impact after expanding in scope or size and/or into other regions.
How to Apply
Deadline: 17 April 2023
To Apply, visit: link