The UN General Assembly, and all its 193-member countries, in September 2015 adopted a global development vision entitled Transforming Our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. This 2030 Agenda was designed as a plan of action for people, planet and prosperity. It lays out 17 new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 169 targets, to stimulate global action over the next 15 years on issues critical to humanity and the planet. India committed to these SDGs at the September 2015 UN Summit and the SDGs officially came into force on 1 January 2016. The Government of India has actively engaged in mainstreaming the SDGs in its work from early 2016. NITI Aayog, the National Institution for Transforming India, has been entrusted with the responsibility of coordinating the efforts on SDGs with ministries and states, indicative of “whole of government” approach. The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) is responsible for providing national SDG monitoring framework.
The UNDP India Country Programme Document CPD (2018-2022) signed with the Government of India (GoI) aims at transformative change and development impact at scale. In line with this, UNDP has initiated active support to many state governments in mainstreaming SDGs within their schemes and programmes as a part of an UN system wide to SDG roll out for visioning and planning in India. In view of India’s commitment to the 2030 Agenda, Haryana too has set ambitious targets for itself for achieving the SDGs within the state and has already formulated its SDG Vison 2030 document.
To implement the ambitious targets set for itself in SDG VISION 2030, the Government of Haryana has partnered with UNDP to establish SDG Coordination Centre (SDGCC) under the aegis of Swarna Jayanti Haryana Institute of Fiscal Management (SJHIFM) as part of the Finance and Planning Department. UNDP has set up a PMU and is work closely with relevant government departments, technical agencies, UN agencies, civil society organization and academic institutions to provide the requisite impetus to the state government’s initiative in rolling out the SDGs.
UNDP is looking for an intern to support the work of the SDGCC located at Panchkula, Haryana. The intern will work closely under the overall guidance of the Regional Head (North region) and under direct supervision of Monitoring & Evaluation Lead, SDGCC Haryana.
Duties and Responsibilities
The intern will work closely under the direct supervision of Monitoring & Evaluation Lead and under overall guidance of Regional Head (North Region) and will be engaged in carrying out the following tasks.
• Assist with the design and development of data analysis toolkits and forms/questionnaires for data collection and analysis
• Data management and cleaning
• Conduct secondary search and assist in the creation of various M&E related reports
• Assist in roll out of SDG Dashboard & Mobile App/ Multi-dimensional Poverty Index/Data Governance Quality Index
• Participate in internal and external monitoring through assisting in organizing and facilitating various events such as meetings/ workshops
• Any other related task as assigned by the Monitoring & Evaluation Lead
Data collection and analysis in the field of social or economic development fields;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Good command of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as handling web-based applications. [Intern is expected to have own laptop for work.]
• Should possess excellent qualitative and quantitative skills.
• An understanding of development sector and Sustainable Development Goals in the context of the country.
• Knowledge of tools like SPSS, SAS, Tableau, Power BI etc. is an added advantage
• Knowledge of IT system development (Web/Mobile) is an added advantage
• Strong sense of collaborative work, excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• Keen attention to detail;
• Excellent analytical and research skills;
• Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise;
• Is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda;
• Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
• Strong commitment to promoting gender equality
• Able to travel local for data collection
Required Skills and Experience
Applicants to the UNDP internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a postgraduate degree programme (such as a master’s programme, or higher) in Rural Development, Agriculture, Social Science, Management, or related fields.
(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (such as bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in Rural Development, Agriculture, Social Science, Management, or related fields.
(c) Have recently graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation;
(d) Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program and undertake the internship as part of this program
To apply for this job please visit jobs.undp.org.