Website Wadhwani AI
An Associate Machine Learning (ML) Scientist at Wadhwani AI will build scientifically rigorous and robustly evaluated AI solutions that will be deployed in order to bring AI to the benefit of underserved billions across the developing world.
Wadhwani AI is a non-profit applied AI institute that brings artificial intelligence technology to social challenges in low and middle-income countries. Through our solutions, AI becomes an enabling technology that bridges the gap between problems and solutions, augments human capabilities and provides advanced decision support. We collaborate with social sector organizations, the government, domain experts and academic institutions to identify real-world challenges, create and deploy innovative AI solutions to reach intended users and beneficiaries – with the objective of creating sustainable, scalable impact.
Currently, we are building AI-based solutions in the agriculture and health domains, such as pest management, maternal, newborn and child health, tuberculosis and COVID19.
Our projects are supported by leading philanthropies such as Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), USAID and Google.org.
Our accolades are as follows:
- Wadhwani AI was the only Google AI impact challenge winner from India in 2019, and the first organization in the Asia Pacific to welcome a cohort of Google Fellows.
- Our pest management solution, CottonAce earned an honourable mention at the Fast Company World Changing Awards 2021.
- In April 2022, CottonAce was announced as one of the five winners of the Global Change Award (GCA) in 2022. The Global Change Award is an endeavour by the H&M Foundation to transform fashion and turn the entire industry planet positive.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As an Associate ML Scientist, you will be responsible for building robust machine learning solutions to problems of societal importance, usually under the guidance of senior ML scientists. You will participate in translating a problem in the social sector to a well-defined AI problem, in the development and execution of algorithms and solutions to the problem, in the successful and scaled deployment of the AI solution, and in defining appropriate metrics to evaluate the effectiveness of the deployed solution.
In order to apply machine learning for social good, you will need to understand user challenges and their context, curate and transform data, train and validate models, run simulations and broadly derive insights from data. In doing so, you will work in cross-functional teams spanning ML modeling, engineering, solution and domain experts. You will also interface with social sector organizations as appropriate.
Associate ML scientists will have a strong academic background in a quantitative field (see below) at the Bachelor’s or Master’s level, with project experience in applied machine learning. They will possess demonstrable skills in coding, data mining and analysis, and building and implementing ML or statistical models. Where needed, they will have to learn and adapt to the requirements imposed by real-life, scaled deployments.
Candidates should have excellent communication skills and a willingness to adapt to the challenges of doing applied work for social good.
- B.Tech./B.E./B.S./M.Tech./M.E./M.S./M.Sc. or equivalent in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Physics, Economics or a relevant quantitative field. Work experience beyond the terminal degree will determine the appropriate seniority level.
- Solid software engineering skills across one or multiple languages including Python, C++, Java.
Interest in applying software engineering practices to ML projects.
- Track record of project work in applied machine learning. Experience in applying AI models to concrete real-world problems is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
To apply for this job please visit wadhwaniai.org.