About the Practice Programme
This position will be part of the Practice Programme at IIHS. The Practice Programme is responsible for providing cutting-edge and integrated solutions to India’s urban development challenges by bringing together faculty and experts across diverse domains of knowledge and practice; exposing learners to real-life problems; and integrating practice into academics and research. The Programme work spans a range of domains including climate change, urban risk & resilience, water & sanitation, energy, planning, housing, land governance & management, and regional economic development.
The Communications Associate/ Manager – Practice Office will be part of the core Practice team, responsible for supporting the planning and delivery of project and programme level communications aimed at enhancing institutional profile and building recognition and recall for the IIHS Practice Programme among central and state governments, multilateral and bilateral agencies, NGOs, philanthropies, and academic, research and consulting organisations.
The incumbent will need to engage across multiple practice/ project teams and other programmes at IIHS. The role will also require working in close coordination with the IIHS Communications & Design team to ensure that project and programme communications are harmonized with the core communication strategy and design at the institutional level.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Assisting in the development and implementation of long-term and project-based communications strategies based on institutional priorities and emerging market opportunities;
- Helping develop and produce content to engage and educate audiences across various channels via newsletters, blogs, graphics, website content, and social media posts, with particular emphasis on knowledge product collaterals’;
- Identifying and engaging with network organisations for IIHS work to find uptake in key channels;
- Raising the publications profile of the Practice Programme team;
- Supporting the planning, content development, and rollout of communication activities around key flagship international events;
- Contributing to the development of social media activities and campaigns across multiple channels;
- Contributing to keep the IIHS website up to date;
- Coordinating between the Practice and Communications & Design teams for seamless flow and exchange of information as necessary to develop collaterals;
- Researching and collecting information and data for content and communications strategies;
- Helping drive events and campaign rollouts, internal and external;
- Assisting in business development efforts, including pitch notes and presentations, as and when relevant;
- Providing assistance in organising online events, including outreach and marketing plans;
- Assisting with media relations mandates as and when relevant;
- Providing support to other IIHS activities including academics, research, training, practice, operations and others;
- Participating in all activities of Institution-Building at IIHS; carrying out tasks as assigned by IIHS; and travelling on IIHS work within or outside the country as and when needed.
Structure and Reporting
The Communications Associate/ Manager – Practice Office will report to the Chief of Practice at IIHS and will be required to collaborate effectively with a diverse group of internal teams and external individuals/organizations, and students.
The ideal candidate shall have:
- A Bachelor’s or advanced Degree in marketing, communications, journalism or related field;
- A total of 8 to 10 years of experience with at least 5 years of experience working on communication issues in key domains such as climate change, water and sanitation, risk and resilience, ideally in the urban sector;
- Experience of working with multilateral or bilateral agencies, donor-funded projects, INGOs, thinktanks, foundations, or consulting firms;
- Demonstrable skills and previous experience with communications research and strategy, media relations, developing content for various audiences, digital engagement best practices, network management, and event planning and management;
- Knowledge of social media platforms to help with campaign and outreach planning;
- High proficiency in English and a second Indian language (preferably, Hindi);
- Excellent oral and written communication skills combined with strong analytical skills in relevant areas;
- Excellent team working, relationship management, team-building and interpersonal skills; ability to multi-task and work collaboratively with multiple teams; a keen eye for detail; and a commitment to delivering high quality output;
- Willingness to travel extensively as required both within and outside the country.
This offer is on an exclusive basis, which implies that other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with IIHS cannot be undertaken.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
This position could be based in either New Delhi or Bengaluru and may entail travel to other locations in India.
Review and Assessment
The role and performance of the incumbent shall be subject to normal review and assessment systems at IIHS.
IIHS is an equal opportunity employer that encourages women, people with disabilities and those from economically and socially excluded communities with the requisite skills and qualifications to apply for positions.
To apply for this job please visit iihs.co.in.