Website STIR Education
ABOUT STIR EDUCATION
We are an international NGO that is addressing the moral and economic imperative that every child, everywhere, should have a teacher who cultivates the joy of lifelong learning. At a practical level, that means we support governments to reignite intrinsic motivation in teachers and local officials, through teacher networks. Our vision is a world where teachers love teaching and children love learning. In our sixth full year of operations, we are working with 200,000 teachers and 6 million children across 70 districts in India and Uganda.
We achieve this through a five-year learning partnership with an education system, where we align all levels of the education system (officials, teachers and children) around the goal of increasing intrinsic motivation.
Practically, this means that teachers undergo monthly network meetings with about 20 to 30 local peers. Through these meetings they’re supported to develop their practice in areas ranging from effective questioning to creating warm but orderly classroom routines – all designed to create a more effective relationship between the teacher and child. In doing so they develop a sense of autonomy (the sense they can change things), mastery (sense of getting better as a professionals) and purpose (reconnecting emotionally with their peers and students) – the key drivers of intrinsic motivation.
District officials undergo a training and coaching programme that motivates and supports them to prioritise, run and monitor the teacher networks and a close partnership with the state or national government enables the government to align this intrinsic motivation approach within their priorities, structures and systems.
The approach is run by the government from day one and after about five years of partnering with an education system we hope to have embedded a culture of improvement at all levels for the system to continue to strengthen itself. We typically allocate one member of our own staff per district to train, energise and coach the district officials running the approach, and a small team at the national or state level.
How we approach our work is as important as what we do and our core values guide the way:
Humility – We don’t have all the answers upfront.
Ownership – We empower each other with high expectations & support.
Openness – We will listen, learn and improve, and lead through obstacles.
Purpose – We’re united by a shared vision we’ll build & achieve together.
THE OPPORTUNITY – PROGRAMME MANAGER, DELHI
An exciting opportunity has arisen in the Delhi secondary programme for a Programme Manager. The position will be based in Delhi and directly reporting to the Associate Head – Programme. The person will be responsible for ensuring a very high standard in programme delivery to both teachers and government officials in a particular district in Delhi. This is a two-year contract.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Robust programme implementation and quality check across the assigned district
- Support in setting up meetings with potential expansion and drive programme quality in assigned districts.
- Drive the overall program in alignment with the programme goals and track progress on regular basis.
- Ensure all quality measures are being taken for effective delivery of the programme on ground.
- Facilitate orientation meetings, boot camp and institutes and enable district core teams to run the institutes, network meetings and other events with desired quality.
- Make sure that a learning focus is created in each school across the operational area.
- Ensure learning from the different programmes of the Government & other NGOs are incorporated into the programme operation and delivery.
- Prepare documents/reports as per the programme requirement.
- Define and embed different quality control parameters in collaboration with different stakeholders across the district.
- Any other task as assigned by the line manager.
Team management & effective team building
- Ability to work with large, small and cross-functional teams in participatory and consensus oriented environment.
- Lead the programme operation at the district level with the help of district-level government officials directly as a team and by creating a participatory and consensus oriented environment.
- Make 10 to 15-day field visits in a month to carry out field level intervention and support the team of government officials to develop clear implementation strategies and run the model effectively on ground.
- Build capacity of each of the team members through regular coaching and mentoring.
Building strong relationships with district officials and lead policy level groups
- Build relationships by establishing regular communication channels with different district officials at a routine interval.
- Build a genuine partnership with the government and find bright spots at different levels.
- Engage officials in different levels of operational planning and programme design.
- Execute an overall district specific communication package to create a sense of ownership among different stakeholders.
Data Management, learning and support in bigger learning questions
- Share key data, stories and feedback with the Monitoring & Evaluation team about the programme implementation on the ground.
- Build a data based impact driven culture across the district.
- Become familiar with the programme operational rhythm.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least 4 years of experience with at least 2 years in grassroots education and a strong demonstrated interest in the education sector either through their work or as a volunteer and clear leadership and management experience.
- Strong identification with STiR values.
- Excellent influencing skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skill (self-initiative, self-motivation) and innovative thinking.
- Excellent planning and project management skills with an ability to manage multiple concurrent tasks and deadlines.
- Ability to communicate very effectively in Hindi and English.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to see things through to a very high standard.
- Ability to build strong relationships and connections with people of all levels of seniority.
- Demonstrated ability to work through others to achieve goals.
- Ability to co-create and collaborate to achieve goals.
- Ability to codify and share learning effectively.
- Understanding of how to effect behaviour change in teachers and government officials.
- Demonstrated capacity to learn, adapt and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- A strong understanding of the Delhi education system.
REMUNERATION & BENEFITS
A consultancy fees of ₹78,224/-per month (₹ 9,38,683/- per annum) will be paid for your service (subject to relevant taxes at source), along with Medical Insurance for yourself, spouse and up to two children.
To apply for this job please visit stireducation.freshteam.com.