Website CEEW - Council on Energy, Environment and Water
Designation Offered: Research Analyst
Team/Focus area:Power Sector
Reporting to:Programme Lead
CEEW seeks to hire a suitable candidate with experience & knowledge of the power sector and of handling large data sets, to expand its work in the area of power sector. Our programme on power sector is driven with the mission to support the clean energy transition in India by examining and promoting the operational, financial, and environmental sustainability throughout the value chain of the power sector. The power sector team is tracking the changing consumption patterns and behaviours through real-time monitoring and survey exercises, to design and scale-up interventions for demand-side management. Therefore, an ideal candidate should have the ability to understand tariff orders, regulations and leverage different types of large-scale data sets to identify probable solutions to critical problems. The candidate will also help the organisation in handling any other data related work in the power sector team such as a primary survey.
The successful applicant will assist fellow researchers in undertaking robust quantitative and qualitative analysis. In addition to the duties and responsibilities outlined below, the candidate should be prepared, as and when necessary, to take on additional responsibilities and respond to events and developments that cannot be anticipated easily..
In addition to the duties and responsibilities below, the individual should be prepared, as and when necessary, to take on additional responsibilities.
Job duties and accountabilities
- To understand the power systems, along with an understanding of the value chain of power generation, transmission and distribution, electricity markets and electricity regulatory domain.
- Engage with key external stakeholders like government representatives’ power discoms and regulators, CSOs, consumer associations, knowledge partners, etc.
- Keep track of key national and state – level regulations, schemes, policies and legislation related to power transmission and distribution.
- Assist in design and execution of primary surveys to collect high quality primary data.
- Travel to field sites, whenever necessary, to conduct fieldwork including focus group discussions, interviews, meetings, training or gather primary information.
- Conduct quantitative analysis (techno-economic, statistical and econometric) using survey data, regulatory data on electricity consumption and other databases in STATA/R/Python.
- Conduct qualitative analysis of policies, regulations, business and financial models governing energy use in the residential sector.
- Keep up with the latest ideas and research on the power sector, nationally and globally, and come up with innovative ideas to better understand, measure, monitor, communicate and (ultimately) improve the state of energy efficiency in India’s residential sector.
- Assist in generation and dissemination of knowledge products by way of policy reports, presentations, memos, short reports, opinion pieces, videos, etc., with the help of CEEW’s outreach team.
- Proactively participate in knowledge-transfer activities, including collaborative meetings, conferences, and training workshops with other research groups and institutions.
- Support senior team members for important meetings and sessions, prepare notes, and conduct follow-ups, as required.
- A postgraduate degree in economics, development economics, energy economics, political science, governance, public policy, sociology, management or related disciplines is a prerequisite. A bachelor’s degree in engineering is preferable.
- 2-3 years’ experience.
- Experience of working with government stakeholders and familiarity with regulations and institutional setup of India’s power sector.
- Experience in survey design/execution and data analysis strongly desirable; experience in financial modelling desirable and familiarity with qualitative research methods strongly desirable.
- Ability to analyse and visualise large data sets. Proficiency in using MS Excel; Prior experience in the use of statistical tools like STATA/R/Python is desirable.
- Strong analytical and networking skills.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to summarise and communicate the insights/findings as reports and presentations.
- Willingness to work on multi-disciplinary projects.
- Willingness to learn new research and project management skills.
- Ability to adapt to new environment and deliver under tight deadlines in a professional environment.
- Striving for rigour in research and quality in work output.
- Ability to effectively work in a team while being able to independently drive research with minimum assistance, when time demands.
- Ability to dig deeper into details, while also keeping a sense of the broader objectives and big picture.
- Willingness to learn, grow and develop at the personal and professional front, at a rapid pace with a steep learning curve.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary and multicultural environment
CEEW operates in a dynamic environment and the candidate will be required to show flexibility in undertaking a variety of tasks.
Competitive compensation – commensurate to the experience and matching the best of standards adopted by industry or other similar organisations for similar roles.
CEEW is an equal opportunity employer and the selection process does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, caste, ethnicity, religion, or sexuality. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested applicants are advised to apply at the earliest possible.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified by us. We appreciate your interest.
To apply for this job please visit ceew.zohorecruit.in.