CSEP is looking to hire a Research Assistant or Analyst to work in ongoing and proposed research in the Energy, Natural Resources and Sustainability group across various studies on the energy and electricity sectors in India, focusing on gathering, synthesising, and analysing data.
The Centre for Social and Economic Progress (CSEP) conducts independent, in-depth, and policy-relevant research, and provides evidence-based recommendations to the challenges facing India and the world. It draws on the expertise of its researchers, extensive interactions with policy makers as well as convening power to enhance the impact of research. Our researchers work across the domains of Economic Growth and Development including Health, Urbanization; Energy, Natural Resources, Climate change and Sustainability; and Foreign Policy and Security. All our research and policy recommendations are freely available to the public.
CSEP is based in New Delhi and registered as a company limited by shares and not for profit, under Section 8 of the Companies Act, 1956 (now Section 8 of Companies Act, 2013).
About the role:
An ideal candidate will have strong data science and data handling skills and also familiarity with energy systems and/or policy analysis. In case they lack specific energy analytics experience, a motivated skilled data analyst can learn energy details.
A wide range of studies rely on increasing amounts of data (sometimes “big data” levels). The person should both analyse such data themselves or if less experienced, work with other researchers to support them for such studies.
Position responsibilities span several major threads of effort:
- Creation and maintenance of internal and public facing datasets and databases, including data gathering as required and data cleaning/processing
- Analysis of diverse, disaggregated, and disparate data (econometric/statistical/model-based analysis)
- Specific research and analysis for studies using statistical or econometric or other methods
- Supporting direct-task and other ongoing research with data gathering/analysis/visualisation
A base list of desired skills and background includes:
- A Research Assistant will have a strong bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (computer science/data science or engineering/economics/statistics with data training). The Research Analyst position is for candidates with Masters, but with a Bachelors in exceptional cases with strong experience.
- Familiarity or motivation for energy-related and policy-oriented studies.
- Range of technical skills: Python skills preferred, can also use R but existing systems are on Python; AWS and data storage a plus; need to also learn new environments as required.
- Experience in scraping data from public and governmental sources, and subsequently converting/cleaning them up for further analysis.
- Ability to work independently and communicate effectively.
- Good communication (conveying) skills are essential.
- Ability to coordinate, work across domains and deliver quality products on-time.
Interested candidates should see https://carbontracker.in as a sample of a tool built in-house.
To apply, please email your resume, a cover letter, and a writing sample (in single file as a .pdf) to email@example.com with the subject line: (Data) Research Assistant OR (Data) Research Analyst [pick one as appropriate] – Energy, Natural Resources and Sustainability.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org