Website Poverty Action Lab
J-PAL South Asia
Start Date (Earliest):
17 October 2022
Length of Commitment:
More than two years
J-PAL is a global research center working to ensure that policy is informed by scientific evidence. Anchored by a network of 227 affiliated professors at universities around the world, J-PAL conducts randomized impact evaluations to answer critical questions in the fight against poverty. We build partnerships with governments, NGOs, donors, and others to share this knowledge, scale up effective programs, and advance evidence-informed decision-making.
J-PAL South Asia has partnered with the Indian Government’s Department of Personnel and Training and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation through Creating Learning For Public Officials (C-LOP) initiative.
At C-LOP, we work to create ecosystems for sustained learning geared towards capacity building of Indian government officials. Using strategic thinking and collaboration, the project drives innovation and research in mechanisms for lifelong learning.
The C-LOP team is currently seeking a Senior Communications Manager to lead cross-channel content production, strengthen partner relationships, build internal communication expertise, and convert complex research into targeted communication using elements of design that are simple, salient and actionable.
The Senior Communications Manager must have a passion for developing and implementing analytics-driven and audience-sensitive communication strategy, and an exceptional ability to express complex policy and research in written, spoken, and multimedia formats.
The key responsibilities of a Senior Communications Manager will include:
● Working closely with the Project Director to design and lead the execution of the communications strategy that advances the team’s goals. This will include, but not be limited to, the dissemination of research insights through high quality audience-sensitive content, greater use of research results , refinement of C-LOP brand and expansion of its reach through social media and other channels and tracks progress through intelligent metrics.
● Mentoring and managing the communications team.
● Producing fresh, innovative work that translates complex ideas and narratives into compelling offline and online experiences for C-LOP’s stakeholders.
● Conducting brainstorming sessions with the larger C-LOP team using tools such as Human Centered Design
● Working independently on projects and managing team responsibilities
● Collaborating with a diverse, cross-functional team for the strategic development of messages across media (Twitter, website, news articles, blogs, videos)
● Introducing newer approaches to dissemination of information such as podcasts, MOOCs etc.
● Maintaining and managing quality across all collateral
● Revisiting and refining brand guidelines from time to time
● Leading the development of high-quality information design assets including static and interactive visualizations
● Designing visual imagery for publications, annual reports, presentations and other print and electronic materials
● Coordinating with outsourced designers, freelancers, or agencies whenever required and make sure they follow brand guidelines.
Strong Leadership, interpersonal skills, passion for innovation and organizational development, Strategic thinking and interest in social policy are ideal for a Senior Communications Manager.
● Advanced degree in Communications, Media, Journalism, Economics, Political Science, Public Policy, or related field
● At least seven years of work experience in communication for nonprofit, media, academic, or research organizations
● Exceptional writing, editing, and creative management skills, and mastery of key principles for communicating academic research, with accuracy, in ways that non-technical audiences can understand
● Strategic thinker and committed leader who can design effective processes to communicate research insights in a manner that increases its prominence among public, practitioners, and policymakers
● Ability to develop high-level relationships with partners, including press, donors, and academic researchers
● Project management skills, including attention to operational and creative details, and ability to manage multiple projects efficiently
● Expertise in overseeing content production, including design, video, social media, podcasts, and newsletters
● Track record of building the capacity of colleagues through workshops and one-to-one support
● Proficiency in a language other than English is a plus, particularly Hindi or a regional Indian language
● Personal attributes of curiosity and a love for learning, self-awareness, and humility
About the Organization
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a global research center working to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence. Anchored by a network of 171 affiliated professors at universities around the world, J-PAL conducts randomized impact evaluations to answer critical questions in the fight against poverty. J-PAL South Asia, based at the Institute for Financial Management and Research in India, leads J-PAL’s work in the South Asia region. J-PAL South Asia conducts randomized evaluations, builds partnerships for evidence-informed policymaking, and helps partners scale up effective programs. Over more than ten years of existence, J-PAL South Asia has conducted 182 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations.
How to Apply
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. After completing a brief registration, choose the CLOP job category, then select “Senior Communications Manager- C-LOP- J-PAL South Asia” and include resume, cover letter, transcripts, and two recommendation letters. Note that applications with incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application. Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
To apply for this job please visit apply.povertyactionlab.org.