Website Digital Green
Digital Green is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our growing technology team. The Senior software engineer will be involved in the development of robust and innovative systems for the benefit of rural communities. This is a terrific opportunity to develop leading-edge technologies and be at the forefront of innovation to bridge the rural information gap. As a key member of the technology team, the position will play a key role in all aspects of software development. The position would be responsible for designing, coding, and building scalable solutions and exciting products while getting exposure to the rural landscape and contributing towards Digital Green’s mission to integrate innovative technology with global development efforts to improve human well-being
Technology at Digital Green
We are a multidisciplinary team that unites front and back end engineering with data, human centered design and product management.
We emphasise on rapid prototyping and piloting in close collaboration with our program teams to figure out what actually works and then figure out how to engineer solutions that work reliably and at scale in challenging environments with sporadic connectivity and emerging technology literacy, etc. We release our code for others to contribute and benefit. We are Empathetic and inclusive in our design that enables those most in need to capitalize on the promise of new technologies
Some of the problems we are working on right now:
How can data from disparate sources like IoT sensors, satellite imagery, hyperlocal weather stations and government databases be combined to generate targeted, contextual relevant advisories for farmers?
What are the most effective communication channels for reaching smallholder farmers around the world? Smartphone penetration and data connectivity continues to increase so this is dynamic and highly variable by geography. Messaging apps like whatsapp and telegram, IVR, mobile apps.
How can AI and NLP be applied to create vernacular language voice recognition that promotes inclusivity and extends the value of technology to groups typically left behind including women>
How can we apply machine learning and other advanced data analysis techniques to generate insights that enable smallholder farmers to increase their income?
How do we generate and manage data in a manner that is not extractive or exploitive but puts agency and control in the hands of farmers?
Development of Software products & platforms
- Develop tools and applications by producing clean, efficient code
- Evaluate and select appropriate software or hardware and suggest integration methods
- Provide emphasis on writing secure, maintainable and performant code
- Ensure the implementation of agreed architecture and infrastructure
- Automate tasks through appropriate tools and scripting
- Collaborate with internal teams and vendors to fix and improve products
- Perform validation and verification testing
- Review and debug code
- Identify, prioritize and execute tasks in the software development life cycle
- To prepare and maintain documentation for software / application development and maintenance process
- To document steps of software / application development and maintenance process in prescribed formats
- Graduate or Post Graduate in Computer Science or equivalent from a reputed university
- 4-5 years of experience in software development – preferably in open source technologies
Skills and Competencies
- Working experience in one or more of the following languages: Python / Ruby / Java/ NodeJS
- Good knowledge of SQL and relational database design and implementation
- Knowledge of NoSQL database design and implementation
- Knowledge of building & using REST APIs
- Knowledge of building Micro services
- Understanding of distributed architecture and de-centralization
- Experience working in Unix / Linux environments
- Sound knowledge OOP and software design concepts
- Sound Knowledge of Data Structure & Algorithms
- Good understanding of data security principles and working with large and disparate datasets.
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Good understanding in creating Chabot’s or having created Chabot’s earlier would be given preference
- Commitment to making a difference in the developing world
To apply for this job please visit digitalgreen.applytojob.com.