Website Care India
Senior Technical Specialist- Gender Equality Centre (GEC)
Gender Equality Centre (GEC)
Director – Gender Equality Centre
Flexible, with 30% travel time to CARE India’s projects in various locations.
CARE is a not-for-profit organization that builds capacity of communities to ensure empowerment for marginalized women and girls. Our sustainable and holistic interventions in Health, Livelihood, Education and Disaster Relief & Resilience, provide innovative solutions to deep-rooted development problems. Along with access to the international confederation of expertise, we integrate internal knowledge and strong network of partnerships to deliver outcomes at scale to varied stakeholders.
During FY 2018-19, CARE India directly reached out to 37.2 million people through 43 projects across 14 states, covering more than 80+ districts. We are part of the CARE International Confederation, working in 100 countries for a world where people live with dignity and security.
CARE India seeks a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live in dignity and security.
Our goal is to ensure that women and girls from the most marginalized communities are empowered, live in dignity and their households have secure and resilient lives. CARE India aims to accomplish this goal by working with 50 million people to help them have quality health, education, livelihoods and overcome the effects of disasters.www.careindia.org | Regd. as CARE India Solutions for Sustainable Development
Our employees are committed to CARE’s values, Code of Conduct, and safeguarding commitments towards a safe workplace for all, including the principle of ‘do no harm’. They are also responsible to uphold and strengthen our safeguarding commitments in their role. To know more about our safeguarding policies please visit our website : www.careindia.org
This position offers opportunity for an experienced professional to advance gender equality and diversity in CARE India’s programming and organizational structure. CARE India’s programme goal is to ensure that “women from the most marginalised communities are empowered, live in dignity, and their households and communities are secure and resilient”. Unequal power relations is identified as one of the key underlying cause of poverty. Therefore, CARE India has prioritised promoting gender transformative change through our programming as a core cross-cutting aspect of its work right from design to implementation and evaluation.
The Senior Technical Specialist-GEC will be responsible for ensuring integration of Gender Equality in CARE India’s programming with robust gender transformative programs and project design; providing cutting-edge technical assistance on Gender Equality to CARE India’s projects and long term programs; developing and facilitating implementation of innovative methods to track gender transformative changes, including research and documentation; developing innovative impactful models where Gender Equality outcomes are well integrated in projects with sector outcomes (e.g. maternal and child health, pro-poor value chain development, early childhood development); building capacities of staff across CARE India and its partners; developing toolkits, methods, and guidelines; developing measurement standards and knowledge management; representing and networking with key stakeholders within CARE India, CARE International, and outside the organization to promote learning, reflection, and knowledge building; and helping craft and advance an advocacy agenda to catalyze wider social change.
Along side building, testing and consolidating models for gender transformative change through our programming, the position will also play a key role in building CARE as a gender equitable, safe and dignified workplace, that builds, nurture and values women’s leadership and contribution in all sectors, where policies and initiative are designed such that all employees can grow and thrive without any gender-based marginalization or discrimination. The position will ensure gender inclusion in all functions including HR, Finance, Support Services, IT & Administration, Fund Raising, Marketing and Communications.
This position will work closely with a range of staff in CARE India, including sector (education, health, livelihoods, disaster management) and project teams, HR and other functional units to negotiate for and include gender equality as an integral aspect of policies, practices and programs. The measure of success for this position will be in two parts with equal emphasis, namely, developing and promoting high quality, innovative, and impactful Gender Transformative approaches and interventions; and working with a cross-section of CARE India’s staff to guide, coach, handhold, and influence them on various aspects of Gender equality integration.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Gender Transformative Programming
- Drive CARE India’s ambition to be differentiated as a leader in gender transformative programming
- Track emerging knowledge and learning in Gender Equality, including cutting edge approaches, strategies and models, and work for dissemination, reflection and adoption in CARE India’s programming.
- Develop innovative and impactful approaches and strategies, both for integration of Gender Equality in projects focused on sector outcomes, and to advance gender equality outcomes.
- Disseminate technical tools and methods across various projects and support in adoption of these through capacity building, onsite support and offsite guidance.
- Consistently monitor policy environment, and directions in government and corporate sector to advance gender equality outcomes, share this internally, and facilitate use of information in program development.
2. Gender Based Violence Focused Programming
- Build a new program vertical focusing on addressing gender-based violence in various contexts
- Build and nurture networks and relationships with other organizations with wealth of experience and expertise on gender-based violence programming
- Track emerging knowledge and learning in gender-based violence programming that can be adopted in CARE India’s programs
- Develop innovative and impactful approaches and strategies, for integrating GBV in projects focused on other sectors such as Health, nutrition, education, livelihoods and disaster management
3. Learning, Reflection, and Knowledge Management
- Work with the KMLE Centre to devise robust monitoring approaches and tools for measuring and tracking gender transformative change in programs as well as in the workplace
- Develop, lead, and contribute to action research to track and learn from pilots to promote gender equality outcomes and models that are impactful and scalable.
- Support development of monitoring and learning frameworks, approaches, indicators, and standards for integrating gender equality outcomes in projects and programs and ensure these are in line with emerging trends in impact monitoring and measurement on gender equality.
- Ensure effective documentation of gender transformative changes both in individual projects and long-term programs.
- Source knowledge products on gender equality from CARE International and elsewhere and facilitate wider knowledge sharing and reflection across sector and project teams.
4. Resource Centre
- Develop the Gender Equality Centre as a go to resource pool for Gender Transformative Programming and Organizational Practices
- Bring cutting-edge thinking, gender transformative resources and practices to CARE’s work across program verticals
- Develop and showcase an annual property on Gender Equality – An yearly research, Conference, Paper, Roundtable or any other creative form
- Assist projects to incorporate integration of gender equality outcomes in project planning, and implementation.
4. Training and Capacity Building
- Map the capacity needs of specific projects and staff on gender equality and GBV focused programming.
- Develop and promote creative capacity building approaches, techniques, and tools to develop gender equality capacities of staff.
- Design and facilitate implementation of capacity needs assessment on gender equality and based on this assessment support project teams in implementing capacity building measures.
5. Gender Equitable, Safe and Dignified Workplace
- Drive the integration of gender sensitive policies and practices across all functions such as HR, Finance, Procurement, Fund raising, Marketing, Communication etc.
- Curate and share best practices, evidence, and failures with practitioners and with major systems players
6. Networking and Advocacy
- Participate in and contribute to appropriate state, national and international alliances and coalitions on Gender Equality.
- Develop and nurture relationships with a wide range of actors, including donors, peer organisations, academia, networks, research and advocacy organisations to map opportunities to advance Gender Equality integrated programming in CARE India.
- Represent and assist project teams to represent CARE India’s work on Gender Equality in CARE International and with other stakeholders.
- Establish professional linkages with skilled individuals and institutions to develop partnerships that will advance Gender Equality programming.
Program Team, Other Gender Team Members,
QUALIFICATION & EXPERIENCE
Education: Masters’ degree or above in Social Sciences or any equivalent qualification; combination of education and work experience, additional degree/diploma/certificate of education or training in gender equality related topics be a plus.
- At least 8-10 years of experience as a gender equality expert
- Proven track record of gender equality programming and technical assistance
- Experience working with various support services (HR, Finance, Marketing and Communications, Procurement) to creatively integrate gender equality in policies and practices
- Experience working in a multi-sector development and humanitarian organization highly desirable
- Good standing among professional peers and professional networks
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Able to articulate and communicate well to all stakeholders (both verbally and in writing) in a manner that meets the audience-specific needs
- Ability to negotiate and influence internally and externally.
- Demonstrated communication and presentation skills.
- Able to read, write and speak impactfully in Hindi language at an expert level
- Able to conduct primary and secondary research for identifying the newest trends and incorporate them in program / process approach
- Demonstrated experience of managing surveys/data collection initiatives
Team Management & Collaboration / People skills:
- High social intelligence: able to engage and influence teams, create relationships of trust with stakeholders
- Adept at co-creation: naturally collaborative and solutions focused
- Able to reflect, be empathetic, and a good listener
- Excellent facilitation and capacity building skills.
Strategic Thinking and Analysis:
- Big picture / critical thinker (able to think clearly and rationally and select the best method as appropriate) / connector (able to spot gaps, establish needs and opportunities) analytically to influence decision making
- Ability to conceive creative solutions for difficult social problems
- Resilient: able to deal well with ambiguity, uncertainty, and change
- Flexible: able to adapt well to identify, manage and shift competing priorities
- Versatile: able to juggle different and conflicting priorities
Operational excellence (Project / Program / Process management):
- Proven experience of promoting practical and impactful gender equity and women’s empowerment approaches to development and humanitarian action as well as in organizational functions.
- Ability to convert complex ideas into practical and impactful processes and actions with focus on skills transfer.
- Conceptual and analytical skills with the ability to develop approach papers, concept notes, proposals, etc.
- Demonstrable experience and skills to develop and support use of gender equality tools and techniques.
To apply for this job please visit careindiacareers.peoplestrong.com.