Website Asian Development Bank
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
The position is assigned in the Social Development Thematic Group (SDTG) within the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department. The Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department provides leadership, innovation, and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work. The Social Development Thematic Group provides the same functions in the areas of social protection and social development. The SDTG works closely with regional departments and external partners on research, technical assistance (TA) and operational support. The SDTG is also the lead (with Education and Health Sector Groups) for coordination of activities for Operational Priority 1 of Strategy 2030: Addressing Remaining Poverty and Reducing Inequality.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The Social Development Specialist (Social Protection) is responsible for (i) promoting, coordinating, and facilitating the implementation of the social protection agenda; and (ii) working in the area of social protection and related fields to assist ADB’s Developing Member Countries (DMCs) in reducing poverty and improving social inclusiveness and accountability. The incumbent will report to the Chief of the Social Development Thematic Group and will supervise National Staff and Administrative Staff.
- Provide strategic operational guidance, operational support and technical inputs to the regional departments in social protection and social development issues in country programming strategies (CPS), and projects/programs.
- Lead or co-lead implementation of SDTG TA’s and promote knowledge management in social protection both internally and externally to ensure that ADB develops and maintains the highest standards in knowledge and practice.
- In collaboration with SDTG team, prepare, update, and monitor implementation of strategies, guidelines and handbooks on social protection and social development.
- Develop and coordinate capacity building and regional cooperation activities on topics in social protection and social development.
- Contribute to ADB’s internal knowledge networks on social protection and social development.
- Help develop and maintain linkages with regional and global networks and support or contribute to high level partnership engagements on social protection and social inclusion.
- Collaborate on and help lead the production of social protection flagship programs, and prepare evidence-based operational social protection briefs from ADB projects.
- Engage with relevant counterparts in social protection at project, country, and regional levels, including provision of necessary just-in-time support, training activities, and workshops.
- Prepare background materials and talking points for ADB management in collaboration with the SDTG team particularly on social protection topics. Help implement the communications and dissemination plan that includes seminars and workshops as well as the use of new media for the broad distribution of lessons learned and related practical tools for wider public.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree in Social Protection, Economics, International Development or other social science and related areas;
- At least 8 years relevant experience and international experience working on several countries.
- Demonstrated operational experience in at least one of the core areas of social protection (social assistance, social insurance, labor market programs)
- A record on participation in the design and implementation of social protection programs in developing countries;
- Well-versed on the latest international discourse and practice regarding poverty, social inclusion, and specifically on issues related to social protection
- Experience with design, implementation, and evaluation of social protection systems and programs, and as they address vulnerabilities such as gender, disability, and aging;
- Experience in undertaking research, implementing capacity building and supporting knowledge and evidence uptake;
- Experience with the design, implementation, or analysis of social insurance, social assistance or safety nets, labor market programs, or other relevant programs, as well as experience managing complex multisectoral tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to write effectively for various audiences and collaborate with other team members, contribute productively to the team’s work and outputs and demonstrate respect for different points of view with strong drive for results and ability to work independently and diligently, while prioritizing and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.
To apply for this job please visit www.adb.org.