Website Wadhwani AI
A Software Engineer at Wadhwani AI will build web and mobile solutions to bring AI to the benefit of the underserved billions across the developing world.
The Wadhwani Institute for Artificial Intelligence (Wadhwani AI) is an independent nonprofit institute developing AI-based solutions for underserved communities in developing countries.
We work with over 40 partners including key government agencies, international development organizations, NGOs, and research organizations to identify real-world challenges, create and deploy innovative AI solutions to reach intended users and beneficiaries – with the objective of creating sustainable, scalable impact.
Our projects are supported by leading philanthropies such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID, and Google.org. Our accolades include winning the Google AI Impact Challenge (one among 20 out of 2600 competitors globally) as well as multiple awards at the 2021 Fast Company World Changing Ideas.
Our current portfolio of initiatives spans tuberculosis, maternal, newborn & child health, Covid-19 and cotton farming.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As a software engineer, you will be responsible for building machine learning-based solutions to problems of societal importance. You will participate in problem definitions and the design and development of solutions to these problems.
In order to apply machine learning and related technologies for social good, you will need to understand user challenges and their context and design and build web and mobile solutions leveraging state-of-the-art front-end and back-end technology that will be deployed in the field settings. You will also create well-documented libraries, APIs, and SDKs that partners and developers can leverage to solve these user problems.
In addition, the candidate will be responsible for engineering secure infrastructure and automation pipelines to host, curate, and transform data, train models, and deploy solutions. You will be expected to design and put in place security and software engineering best practices, automation and testing pipelines, and develop and review architecture and well-documented code to ensure maintainable, debuggable, future-proof solutions.
At Wadhwani AI, excellence as an individual contributor goes hand-in-hand with good teamwork and collaboration. You will work in cross-functional teams spanning research, engineering, product and program management, and designers. You will also be expected to interact with external partners of Wadhwani AI when required, and to make periodic visits to the communities from where challenges are derived and where the solutions will be deployed.
- Ideal candidates should have broad experience (3 – 6 years) in architecting and deploying mobile and cloud-based solutions to real problems that have had an impact in the world.
- Candidates should care about using their technical skills to solve large societally important problems.
- The candidate should have broad exposure optimizing and debugging software solutions for correctness and performance issues, creating APIs for partners and developers and managing and automating on-premise and cloud infrastructure.
- Candidate should have strong foundations in data structures, algorithms and computer systems and good understanding of the software development and deployment lifecycle including code versioning, build and test automation frameworks.
- Candidates should be comfortable working with cross-functional teams, must have excellent communication skills and a track record of driving projects to completion.
- Candidates should have a Bachelors/Masters in Computer Science, Physics, and Engineering Discipline or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience with open-source projects and high-performance systems is a plus.
To apply for this job please visit www.wadhwaniai.org.