Website FAST - India
Job Title – Senior Program Manager/ Team Lead, Foundation for Advancing Science and Technology (FAST India), Project Implementation
About Foundation for Advancing Science and Technology (FAST India)
The world is increasingly moving towards an innovation economy, driven by exponential progress in science and technology (S&T) and the growth of vibrant ecosystems to commercialize research. To be a global leader in science and technology, India needs to be at the forefront of research: the creation of new science & technology knowledge (research) and its translation to economic and social goods. This would ensure sustained economic growth that is not overly dependent on the service sector, and the use of the scientific method to attain our social goals. We believe that this is the right time for India to revive its S&T agenda. We have the economic size, the talent pool, a large market size and a vibrant startup ecosystem to both invest in research and be able to translate S&T knowledge into economic value. Countries such as China seized this opportunity beginning in the 1990s and have revitalized their S&T ecosystem through systematic reforms and programs. It is no surprise that today, China rubs its shoulders with and is even ahead of the United States in areas such as artificial intelligence.
The Foundation for Advancing Science and Technology (FAST India) has been conceptualised as a non-profit institution of excellence dedicated to build capacity and advance policy solutions that foster scientific enquiry and research, and facilitate the creation, dissemination, and translation of new scientific knowledge. The Foundation will work with all stakeholders to develop and strengthen the science ecosystem in India in order to advance scientific research and its translation into economic value and social good. The Foundation also aspires to be a thought-leader in the space of science in India and set the narrative for science in the country. FAST India will have five key verticals: Policy Reforms (housed at CCS), Government Engagement and Support, Capacity Building for Institutions, Engaging with the Corporate Sector, and Science Communications (flagship event, www.indiasciencefest.org).
FAST India is backed by Varun Aggarwal, who is a successful entrepreneur and researcher, and Ashish Dhawan, a private equity investor turned philanthropist. Varun is passionate about building science for India and wrote a book on the science ecosystem of India. He believes that India needs to be a pioneer in scientific research to have sustainable social and economic progress. Ashish Dhawan is the chairperson of Ashoka University, a leading liberal arts university in India, and Central Square Foundation, and is passionate about promoting science in India.
FAST India receives guidance from its panel of advisors that comprises Luis Miranda, Dr. Swaminathan Sivaram, Thomas Barlow, Samir K. Brahmachari, Sanjay Sarma, Venkatesh Narayanamurti, Kris Gopalakrishnan, Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Vijay Chandru and Gagandeep Kang.
FAST India is led by Jayant Krishna, a senior professional with many years of diverse work experience. Prior to FAST India, Jayant was the Chief Executive Officer of the UK-India Business Council, previously led the Prime Minister’s Skill India Mission, and has worked in leadership roles with the Tata group.
We are looking to hire an exceptional Senior Program Manager (SPM) or Team Lead (TL) to join the team in an exciting time of organisational growth and development. This role will require working closely with the organisation leaders to place India at the forefront of global innovation through the creation of science and technology research and its translation into social and commercial applications. Overall, the SPM/TL will provide intellectual and execution support, aligned with FAST India’s missions, goals and targets.
This is a high-energy, entrepreneurial role and a great opportunity for those who enjoy working in a start-up environment and care deeply about the impact sector. This role includes working with senior stakeholders and engaging with them on strategic projects to enhance the science and technology ecosystem in India.
Roles and Responsibilities
The key responsibilities of the SPM/TL include, but are not limited to:
● Work with the CEO (and other top leadership) to execute against the targets and goals in line with the budget
● Support the leadership team with research and insight, recommending an appropriate approach
● Assist with the implementation of policies that help bring efficiency in scientific R&D financing and dismantling regulatory barriers to innovation and science entrepreneurship in India
● Develop and implement programs and projects with institutions in the ecosystem, private sector, and consolidate best practice for change
● Take on diverse operational tasks to ensure organizational success
● Assist the leadership team with creating and maintaining deep engagement with top leaders, funders and experts
● Aid the development and implementation of capacity building programs by primarily engaging with institutions, companies and quasi-governmental bodies
Required Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
● Undergraduate and masters degrees from top tier institutions. While there is no preference for a particular major, we expect to see high degree of intellectual curiosity and sophistication
● 6-10 years of work experience in a challenging/high growth environment
● Entrepreneurial self-starter, passion for science and technology, and desire to develop and strengthen the science ecosystem in India
● High intellectual vitality, the desire to continuously learn, read, and engage on a variety of topics. While the person may only have a basic understanding of science and technology, we highly value the willingness to learn
● Excellent analytical, critical thinking, planning and organizational skills with high attention to detail, accuracy, professionalism, and deadlines
● Strong communication, writing, interpersonal, and stakeholder-facing skills including great presentation and facilitation skills
● Drive to excel in every aspect of work with high level of innovation and strong perseverance
● Ability to take initiative and develop solutions quickly and effectively
● Ability to understand and consider organizational culture and change
● Ability to function and interact in a professional level capacity to sustain the mission, culture and best interests of the organization
● Ability to adapt and exhibit confidence in a highly evolving, agile, and fast paced work environment
● High level of discretion in maintaining confidentiality of sensitive materials and issues
● Operating style suited to working in a small-organization setting, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued
Remuneration will be competitive with Indian philanthropy pay scales and with organizations working with a similar mandate.
New Delhi, India
Interested candidates should fill out the application form below
To apply for this job please visit docs.google.com.