SNEHA (Society for Nutrition, Education and Health Action) is a secular, Mumbai based non-profit organization. It was founded in 1999 by Dr. Armida Fernandez and a group of leading Neonatologists, who together believed in working in partnerships with government organizations ad communities for improving health and nutritional status of the most vulnerable Population.
SNEHA is working to improve the health and nutrition of women and children across four large public health areas, through an integrated life cycle approach to break the intergenerational cycle of poor health: (a) Maternal and Newborn Health (b) Child Health and Nutrition (c) Adolescent Health and Gender Equity (d) Prevention of Violence against Women and Children We have worked extensively in urban slum settlement of Mumbai viz Dharavi, Mankurd, Govandi and Malwani region to address and manage child malnutrition especially wasting and underweight forms of malnutrition. Statistically significant results showing good reduction in wasting, underweight and stunting levels were recorded while carrying out evaluation of 3 large child health and nutrition programs. Team of doctors, social work experts and nutritionist engaged in many innovative strategies like use of child diet audit, designing protocols for management of severe form of wasting with health department, innovations like Khau cha kopra, adoption of malnourished children by community volunteers, tailored made meal plans for all malnourished children, cooking demonstrations using locally available and affordable ingredients, survey to understand local and culturally accepted food followed by awareness sessions to address beliefs related to food
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Healthy Cities Program is running 2 separate intervention models in Malvani. Nurturing care model in Azmi nagar and Community engagement model in NCC (New collectors compound area). The vacancy for the position of Program Officer is for the community engagement model. The intervention model encourages community volunteers to engage to take action for maternal and child health in collaboration with system in informal urban settlements of PN ward of Mumbai. (Both collective and individual actions).
Objectives of the program is to –
1. To build capacity of volunteers to engage in awareness and to mobilize to improve uptake of maternal and child health services in community
2. Collaboration with systems for increased response for maternal and child health through community volunteers.
THE PROFILE: PROGRAM OFFICER FEMALE
JOB LOCATION: MALWANI, MALAD WEST
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for providing guidance and support to 132 volunteers
- Identification of volunteers and Champions
- Capacity building of volunteers
- Monthly champions meeting and Plot wise volunteers meeting
- Coordination and liasoning with ICDS, MCGM & WASH departments
- Observations of visits by volunteers and champions and provide need based support
- Responsible for proper utilization of BCC materials, batch and other materials given to volunteers
- Responsible for events and campaign
- Preparing event and center budgets.
- Support community volunteers to lead Individual and collective actions in the community
- Facilitating sessions with stakeholders for Maternal and child health, Government services and community development issues.
- Any other activities assigned to fulfil programmatic outcomes and goals e.g. community events, any research data required from community for any program related research work.
- Organizing awareness campaigns
- To coordinate with local groups of youth, CBO’s and NGO’s to network to
MANAGEMENT & REPORTING
- Report daily to the Program coordinator
- Managing pictures and documents of meetings, activities and events
- Manage data and ensure daily data entry
- Crosschecking of data collected from system and ensure data entry in commcare application.
- Contribute to the organizational culture and work of SNEHA to an appropriate degree
- Participate in the SNEHA activities
- Develop case stories
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Education – Graduation (Full time course) – with minimum 4 years of relevant experience in community development thematic area
- Ability to maintain role boundaries
- Interest in different themes like community development, child health and nutrition and maternal and new-born health
- Fluency in Hindi English and Marathi.
- Ability to handle community issues.
- Experience of working in urban slums
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Familiarity with government systems, ministries, departments and informal settlements in Mumbai
- Communication skills
- Experience in community mobilization
- Negotiation skills.
Applications to be sent via email email@example.com with Subject line: “PROGRAM OFFICER , HCP”
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org