UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience, and resources to help people build a better life. UNDP is on the ground in about 170 countries and territories, working with national counterparts on solutions to global and national development challenges.
In the programme countries, UNDP supports stabilization, state-building, governance and development priorities in in partnership with the host governments, the United Nations system, the development partners and other partners to help the country to achieve sustainable development by eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, accelerating structural transformations for sustainable development and building resilience to crises and shock.
UNDP has worked in India since 1951 in almost all areas of human development, from systems and institutional strengthening to inclusive growth and sustainable livelihoods, as well as sustainable energy, environment and resilience. UNDP’s programmes continue to fully integrate a global vision for catalytic change with India’s national priorities. With over 30 projects on the ground in almost every state, today UNDP India works to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals by transforming traditional models to do development differently. In a rapidly changing global environment, the work of UNDP and the broader UN family aligns with the Government of India’s new national development vision, India 2030, and builds upon the Sustainable Development Goals. UNDP India’s country programme for 2018 -2022 has three major focus areas:
- Inclusive growth
- Environment and energy
- Strengthening systems and institutions
These are supported by a framework of renewed partnerships and blended finance solutions, a pool of financial and technical resources for greater impact and scale, and South-South expertise.
You are invited to join a team of dedicated development professionals whose primary role is to support the India to achieve the 2030 Agenda. As part of the UNDP team your focus will be to work with multiple stakeholders to find the country specific solutions that lead to sustainable development and to ensure no one is left behind – and we reach those furthest behind first.
UNDP is looking for individuals who have the communication, analytical, planning and implementation capacities that can address links, choices and connections across many issues and sectors. We seek individuals who can apply global best practice to national contexts. We are looking for people who are enthusiastic, motivated, and committed to making a positive contribution to Development in India.
Background and scope of portfolio
The current GOI-UNDP Country Programme Action Plan (2018-2022) envisages UNDP support to fast track implementation of government programmes at state and local government level in order to support governments to improve last mile service delivery. In order to provide demand based technical support and assistance for capacity development in line with the needs of the government, UNDP had decided to expand its outreach in the states.
UNDP has started working in the State of Karnataka on SDGs, Skill development and mutually agreed sectors of interest. It is planned to widen the operations in the State of Karnataka in partnership with the government to support the state to meet the national development agenda. The State office is now in the process of drawing up specific plans of action with time bound targets and milestones in discussion with various line departments. In order to support the State Focal Point in this initiative at the state level, UNDP requires the services of the Project officer in programme and partnership building to be based in Bengaluru, Karnataka
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform duties under the direct supervision of UNDP state project head and State Outreach / Inclusive Growth Unit in Country Office, India.
The Project Officer – Programme and Partnership will report to the state focal point and coordinate efforts with the Programme and Operations Units in Karnataka state and India Country Office for building linkages with the UNDP programme Pillars and advancing the SDGs. The incumbent is also expected to provide technical inputs and contribute to UNDP’s state engagement strategy, resource mobilization and knowledge Management. Other important duties and responsibilities are indicated below:
Engages in partnership building and resource mobilization of UNDP programme pillars:
- Analysis and research of information on funding windows and any other potential sources, preparation of substantive briefs on possible opportunities for project finance and co-finance in particular with a focus on private sector, financial institutions and Government cost-sharing.
- Lead discussions for resource mobilization by preparing the background analysis, partner consultations, and organize high-level meetings to facilitate a closer cooperation with Government/Private sector/Foundations/bi- lateral and multilateral agencies.
- Coordination of activities and communications with all relevant stakeholders to build and strengthen existing strengthen relationships with partners and relevant government counterparts.
- Identification of capacity building and institutional development needs and implementation of appropriate interventions to enhance capacity and skills in the country for programme/project development and resources mobilization.
- Develop and support implementation of UNDP’s strategy, making the business case for a closer private sector engagement focusing on both partnerships in CSR and core businesses.
- Lead in establishing and maintaining strategic contacts and association with relevant partners, follow-up proactively on engagement ideas and work closely with UNDP Programme Units.
- Contribution to the UNDP’s work in Karnataka
Lead on the formulation, development, and design of new integrated development initiatives:
- Lead thorough analysis and research of the country political, social and economic environment on the formulation and design of new integrated development initiatives in the areas of livelihoods, inclusion, SDG’s and UNDP Programme pillars.
- Prepare substantive inputs to key strategic and policy documents, which direct and guide UNDP support interventions in Karnataka.
- Collaborate closely with the Government and Private Sector counterparts to identify new project ideas in line with the UNDP’s priorities, initiate project concepts, lead the consultations on project formulation and agreement.
- Draft concept notes, project documents, project briefs, proposals, presentations for further discussion with clients and donors.
- Facilitate outreach and partnership development in identified sectors and programme areas and work with the programme units to formalize subsequent project proposals
- Coordinate closely with Country Office State Outreach and Inclusive Growth team, governmental and other institutions to ensure an effective formulation process leading to the approval of the projects
Provides oversight and management of initiatives and programmes:
- Effective application of Result Based Management (RBM) tools in project management, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results.
- Facilitate the State team to manage the Atlas as defined and participation in various process including recruitment, finance management, action plan preparation etc,
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions; follow-up on audit recommendations and other.
- Preparation and contribution to the regular reports on outputs and outcomes as required including AWP, Prodoc, M&E reporting etc.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge generation and management through:
- Formulate and develop best lessons learnt products, tools, pitch documents/communication Collaterals,
- Provide quality assurance of knowledge products with relevance for UNDP’s work on livelihoods, inclusion, SDG’s, etc
- Identify sources of information related to policy-driven issues and quality contribution to knowledge networks regionally and globally to support the provision of quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual report / result on outputs and outcomes.
- Coordinate and support the organization of advocacy activities, capacity building and campaigns events, trainings, workshops, knowledge products.
- Support UNDP Project / activities in Karnataka
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards
others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
- Digital & Innovation: Show Managerial Courage: Digital inclusion -Knowledge of how digital inclusion works, opportunities and challenges for governments and society; Face up to organizational and people problems; Address conflict in a timely manner, not allow conflicts in teams linger.
- Communications: Motivate and Direct – Campaign management: Marketing; Ability to produce and implement communications and advocacy campaigns which lead to impactful change; Create and communicate a compelling vision and purpose; Ability to communicate the value of a product or service.
- Manage Performance and Ensure Accountability: Ensure regular conversations with people about work;
- Provide positive and constructive feedback; Discuss poor performance in a timely manner; Provide praise and recognition, as well as ensure accountability.
- Lead with Humility: Be authentic and transparent, act with integrity; Be accessible and available to team members they lead; Encourages debate and discussion, creating a culture where people are comfortable to challenge senior leaders and feel listened too
- Partnership management: Private sector – Ability to identify, develop and manage partnerships that leverage private sector technical expertise and resource mobilization.
- Resource mobilization. resources: Ability to identify funding sources, match funding needs (programmes/projects/initiatives) with funding opportunities, and establish a plan to meet funding requirements.
- Inclusive Growth: 2030 Agenda: Prosperity – Future of work, automation and technology
- Recovery Solutions and Human Mobility: 2030 Agenda- Prosperity Jobs and Livelihoods
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in International Relations, Public / Business Administration, sustainable development, Finance, Communication, Economics, Marketing, developmental studies, Social Sciences or related field
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience at the national and international level in designing programmes/providing operations and management advisory and support services and/or managing staff and operational systems.
- Sound knowledge of UNDP rules and regulations, policies, procedures and practices
- Experience in implementing large scale development or government programmes.
- Good communication, interpersonal and presentation skills, with an ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Establish, build and sustain effective relationships, partnerships and alliances, advocate effectively and communicate sensitively.
- Identifies problems and propose solutions.
- Demonstrates extremely strong influencing and facilitation skills.
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things.
- Shares knowledge across the organization and builds a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
- Works as a team member
- Significant working experience in Government, Private Sector or relevant multilateral institutions.
- Sound knowledge of UNDP rules and regulations, policies, procedures and practices.
- Experience in implementing large scale development or government programmes.
- Proven experience and evidence in resource mobilization and partnership development with exposure to CSR.
- Excellent communication and networking skills specially with the Private sector.
- Proven track record in providing policy advice and technical assistance in the areas of inclusion, livelihoods and housing at mid- or senior management level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages. Strong ability to analyze and visualize data in easy- to-grasp ways.
Fluency in English spoken, read, and write for all official communication is essential and Kannada preferable.
To apply for this job please visit estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.