The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) has an exciting opportunity for a Regional Researcher who will provide implementation assistance and research support to the SDC-SoLAR project and will closely work with the Regional Project Leader, for ensuring rigorous evidence generation from large-scale producers and demonstration pilots in India and Nepal.
The International Water Management Institute, with support from Swiss Development Cooperation (SDC) is implementing a multi-year; multi-country project titled Solar Irrigation for Agriculture Resilience (SoLAR). This project will be implemented in four countries – Bangladesh, India, Nepal and Pakistan. The goal of the project is to contribute to climate resilient, gender and socially inclusive agrarian livelihoods in these four countries by supporting their respective government efforts to promote solar irrigation. The project will work closely with government partners to achieve its objective.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the SDC-SoLAR team in delivering the promised research and implementation outputs and achieving the desired development outcomes. In particular, the position holder will:
- Lead all impact evaluation activities of India and Nepal component of SoLAR, in consultation with the in-country research teams. In particular:
- Complete impact evaluation of Surya Kisan Yojana (SKY) using secondary and primary household data and write reports and journal articles based on the analysis.
- Lead and coordinate all aspects of Training Program of SKY farmers, and write papers based on the results of the training.
- Help design evaluation component of micro-grid pilot in Nepal
- Support the organization of regional events such as a Regional Solar Forum and Regional Trainings
- Contribute to publications, policy briefs. research highlights and media content in relation to the SoLAR project.
- Engage with key stakeholders in project implementation, policy advocacy and dissemination of project outcomes to contribute to development goals.
- Integrate research findings into effective policy recommendations and disseminate information through relevant guidelines and policy briefs; and facilitate and support the adoption of practical, science-based, policy solutions and decisions by national and international partners, authorities, governments and donors.
- Production of articles for peer-reviewed publication, in a timely manner, jointly and independently, in accordance with IWMI’s policies and procedures for publication of research outputs.
Educational qualifications, experience and skills:
- PhD and together with a minimum of 3 years post-PhD experience in economics, public policy, economic geography, human geography or any other related subject, with well-proven competence in quantitative techniques, and understanding of qualitative methods.
- Candidates with master’s degree in the above subjects and exceptionally high level of competence demonstrated through research publications in high impact journals with at least 5 years’ work experience may be considered.
- A clear understanding of development challenges, especially in relation to the water-energy-climate nexus, groundwater governance, agrarian livelihoods and security in South Asia.
- Experience in natural resources, or water-related research, specifically water and groundwater use in agriculture; and/or ability to apply knowledge from other natural resource fields to water management, institutions and governance.
- Sound quantitative (econometric) and analytical skills with proven expertise of using softwares such as STATA, R or SPSS. Skills in programming language such as Python will be considered an added asset.
- Ability and eagerness to undertake field-based research and action research.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience of working in the field of international development, and track record of publishing papers.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work in multi-cultural and inter-disciplinary research teams.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English.
What we are offering:
This is a regionally recruited position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience, an attractive retirement plan, comprehensive international health insurance, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, long-term disability insurance coverage and a transportation allowance. The duration of the contract will initially be for a two -year period with possible extension.
How to apply:
Apply for the position by following the application instructions at www.iwmi.org/jobs. We will be accepting applications through 24:00 (Sri Lanka time) 6 March, 2022 (Sunday). Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.